Another complex line integral question

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of |z|2dz from 0 to 1 + 2i using two different paths. The first path is a straight line from the origin to 1 + 2i, while the second path consists of two lines - one along the y-axis and the other parallel to the x-axis. The speaker shares their calculations for each path and realizes that they do not yield the same result of 5/3 (1 + 2i). They ask for help in identifying their mistake.
randybryan
I have to integrate |z|2dz from 0 to 1 + 2i using the indicated paths. The first path is a straight line from the origin to 1 + 2i and the second has two lines, the first going from 0 to 2i along the y-axis and then from 2i to 1 + 2i, a line parallel to the x axis.

For the first path, the straight line, I used the parameters z = t +2ti and dz = (1 +2i)dt

|z|2 = 5t2 so the integral became [tex]\int 5t^2 (1+ 2i) dt[/tex] between t=0 and t=1

The answer to this integral is 5/3 (1 + 2i), which is correct according to the back of the book.

However I can't get the line integral along the broken paths to generate the same answer. Can anyone spot an obvious mistake?

For the first path, x= 0 so z = 2it and dz = 2idt

|z|2 = 4t2 so the integral becomes [tex]\int 8it^2dt[/tex] between t = 1 and t=0, giving 8/3 i

For path 2, y = 2i, so dy =0 and it just varies along x.

let z = t + 2i dz= 1 and vary from t= 0 to t= 1

|z|2 = t2 + 4

so the integral becomes [tex]\int (t^2 + 4)dt[/tex] between 0 and 1 and the answer is t2/3 + 4t, between t=0 and t=1 which gives 13/3

now 13/3 and 8/3i does not equal 5/3 (1 +2i)

Where have I gone wrong? And I'm sure I've done something embarrassingly stupid

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The contour integrals of ##\int_C |z|^2\,dz## depend on the paths!

1. What is a complex line integral?

A complex line integral is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a complex-valued function along a curve in the complex plane. It is similar to a regular line integral in calculus, but with complex numbers instead of real numbers.

2. How is a complex line integral calculated?

A complex line integral is typically calculated using the Cauchy integral formula, which involves breaking down the curve into smaller pieces and evaluating the function at specific points along each piece. This process is repeated until all pieces have been accounted for and the final result is obtained.

3. What are some applications of complex line integrals?

Complex line integrals have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are commonly used in the study of electromagnetic fields, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics, among others.

4. What is the difference between a closed and an open complex line integral?

A closed complex line integral is one where the curve being integrated over forms a closed loop, meaning the starting and ending points are the same. An open complex line integral is one where the curve does not form a closed loop, and the starting and ending points are different.

5. How do singularities affect complex line integrals?

Singularities, which are points where the function being integrated is undefined or infinite, can greatly affect the value of a complex line integral. In some cases, the integral may not even exist if there is a singularity along the curve being integrated over.