1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another couple of integration porblems

1. May 11, 2009 #1
    Back for a couple more I'm having a little trouble with. The first is

sech(1/x)tanh(1/x) all over x^2

Here I'm not sure how to deal with integrating hyperbolics at all as we haven't gotten to it in class yet. I did some searching on the internet and found that the integral tanh(x)sech(x) = -sech(x) + C. With all of it being over x^2 it becomes a little more complicated.

Do I rewrite x^2 as x^-2 and multiply it through with the 1/x's? Would the property tanh(x)sech(x) = -sech(x) + C still work?

I was also wondering about rewriting the whole equation as (2/e^1/x + e^-1/x)(e^1/x - e^-1/x /e^1/x - e^-1/x)(1/x^2). That seems overly complicated though and I'm not sure what form to go to from that point.

The other problem I'm having trouble with is integrating

cos^-3(2θ)sin(2θ)dθ

I know of ways of integrating sin and cos that have squares but is there a property I can use that's cubed and a double angel?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

What do you mean by integrating all over x^2? I suppose you mean [tex]\int \text{sech}\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)\tanh\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)\frac{1}{x^2}dx[/tex]. If so use the substitution [itex]u=sech \left(\frac{1}{x}\right)[/itex]. For your second problem use the substitution [itex]u=\cos 2\theta[/itex]

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  4. May 11, 2009 #3
    Yeah, that is what I meant and both make so much more sense to me now. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook