1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another electrostatics question.

1. Sep 23, 2009 #1
    There's no problem as such here, just a bit of confusion I'm having regarding finding the electric field. On the following page, second example, is the equation for finding the electric field above a charged disc http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electric/elelin.html#c2". I understand how they used the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the distance from the charged ring to the point on the Y axis to find r, but I'm not understanding why Coulomb's law had to be multiplied by the cosine of theta first?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Because the electric field dE due to the element of charge shown in the figure is along r and points away from P. This field has two components, one along z and one along x. The x component is canceled by an element of charge diametrically opposed on the other side of the ring. The z component of the diametrically opposed charge is the same dE cosθ. So when you add all the horizontal components you get zero, but when you add all the z-components you get E cosθ.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook