1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another implicit differentiation

1. Mar 6, 2007 #1
    e^x^y = x +y

ok i know i am suppost to use the chain rule and the product rule

so x+y is 1 +1 if u find the derivatives, but e^x^2 is confusing me, what is u and what is n

i think u= e^x^2 and n= y is that possible for n to equal y, this problem is confusing

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2007 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you need to find [itex] \frac{dy}{dx} [/itex]. Assume

[tex] F(x,y)=e^x^y-x-y [/tex]

What are
    [tex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial x} \ , \frac{\partial F}{\partial y} [/tex]

equal to ?

4. Mar 7, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your notation is ambiguous. Is e^x^2 supposed to be (e^x)^2 or e^(x^2). I would guess the latter since (e^x)^2 can be written more simply as e^(2x) but you should make it clear.

Oh, and what in the world do you mean by "so x+ y is 1+ 1"? If you mean "the derivative of x+ y is 1+ 1", that is wrong. What variable are you differentiating with respect to? Since you mention the "chain rule" I would guess that x and y are functions of some third variable- again you should tell us that and not make us guess. (Okay, I now notice that the title of this was "another implicit differentiation! But we still don't know whether we are to assume y is a function of x or vice-versa.)

I surely can't answer your question "what is n" because there is no "n" in your formula! Again, I can guess that you mean the "n" in the formula (xn)'= n xn-1 but I can't be sure.

PLEASE restate the problem exactly as it given! (And don't just tell us it is "e^x^y= x+y". That's not even a problem. It may well be one of a list of problems in which the "instructions" [what you are to assume and what you are to do] are at the top of the list.)

It might help you to think about how you would differentiate xx or, more generally, xf(x), since y is a function of x. (Do you remember "logarithmic differentiation"?)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?