1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Isosceles Triangle Problem

1. Feb 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In isosceles triangle RST, RS = RT. Which side of the triangle is the base? Which angle is the vertex angle?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe the base is RT, and the vertex angle is S. I don't know the proper notation to name the line segment and the angle, though. How would you write the answer properly?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you think that? Draw a triangle and label the vertices R, S and T. RS is the segment connecting R and S. RT is the segment connecting R and T. What's the segment that is the base?

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3
    My goodness, I have made a few good blunders in these past two posts. It should actually be RS = ST

5. Feb 23, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, then I'll agree with you. Base is RT and the vertex angle is the angle at vertex S. Sometimes you'll see that written as [itex]\angle RST[/itex].

6. Feb 23, 2012 #5
    Thank you so much. Sorry for all of the posts--I have a great geometry textbook I found, but no answer key to accompany it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook