Help With Drawing Triangles: Regular & Isosceles Triangles

In summary: Now I know, always look for isosceles triangles and similar.Thanks again for taking the time to help me. :)
Redinorun
Hello, I would need some help with drawing these 3 triangles for my homework.
Would be nice if you could just help me to start drawing (what to do first) the right way. Thanks.

Homework Statement

a) Regular triangle:
b - a = 3cm
c = 6cm
γ = 120°

b) Regular triangle:
a + b + c = 16cm
α = 75°
β = 60°

c) Isosceles triangle:
a + h = 8cm
γ = 30°

Homework Equations

/

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
l6ZLRFX.png

b)
95u1V65.png

c) I found out that on hand of that we know that α = β = 75°
R5iFS8R.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I am afraid you will be needing some relevant equations to complete these triangles. Which ones could be useful here ?

We didn't use any equations at school. We just drew them. :(

Starting with a): Do you know the theorem that from any chord, the angles on the circumference are equal? See picture:

Given b-a, gamma and c. You can determine the angle delta. With delta, draw the yellow triangle, starting with the segment b-a. To c, draw the circle where the point C is positioned: c is the cord, from where the angle on the circumference is the given gamma.

trianglebac.JPG

ehild said:
Starting with a): Do you know the theorem that from any chord, the angles on the circumference are equal? See picture:

Given b-a, gamma and c. You can determine the angle delta. With delta, draw the yellow triangle, starting with the segment b-a. To c, draw the circle where the point C is positioned: c is the cord, from where the angle on the circumference is the given gamma.

View attachment 73839

Got that one. Basically after I saw your picture. I realized that both sides of your blue triangle are the same length (because b-a leaves you with a, right?) So I could calculate delta is 30, and on hand of that, that the pink marked corner is 150. That makes it fairly easy to draw the triangle. Thank you. :)

Redinorun said:
Got that one. Basically after I saw your picture. I realized that both sides of your blue triangle are the same length (because b-a leaves you with a, right?) So I could calculate delta is 30, and on hand of that, that the pink marked corner is 150. That makes it fairly easy to draw the triangle. Thank you. :)

It is right, and you do not even need the circle...What about b) can you draw it?

ehild

A little help to b) See picture.

triabc.JPG

ehild said:
A little help to b) See picture.

View attachment 73844
I actually made it. Thanks! Your pictures actually really help. The blue corner is 37,5 and the pink one is 30. At the top when the lines meet at C you just draw the same corners again, but down (because again, we have a, a and b, b) and that's it! Thanks!

Redinorun said:
I actually made it. Thanks! Your pictures actually really help. The blue corner is 37,5 and the pink one is 30. At the top when the lines meet at C you just draw the same corners again, but down (because again, we have a, a and b, b) and that's it! Thanks!
Good! What about the third triangle? I do not understand the problem text. Is a the base or one of the equal sides? Does h belong to a or to the other side? Which angle is given?

ehild

ehild said:
Good! What about the third triangle? I do not understand the problem text. Is a the base or one of the equal sides? Does h belong to a or to the other side? Which angle is given?

ehild
"a" is one of the equal sides (just like usual). (c is the base) "h" is the height of the triangle. The angle gamma (by the point C) is given 30. So the thing also given is one of the equal sides + the height (a + h).

A picture of the problem.

Attachments

• Triangle.jpg
    Triangle.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 431
This is very similar to the second one. You can draw the big right triangle...

triang3.JPG

ehild said:
This is very similar to the second one. You can draw the big right triangle...

View attachment 73847
Oh, how did I not see that?! But wait... ugh... I can't figure out the angles on this one. Nor the length of a.

The leg of the right triangle is a+h. The blue angle on it is 90°, and you can determine the pink one from gamma. gamma/2 is the exterior angle of the yellow isosceles triangle.

Attachments

• triiso.JPG
    triiso.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 474
ehild said:
The leg of the right triangle is a+h. The blue angle on it is 90°, and you can determine the pink one from gamma. gamma/2 is the exterior angle of the yellow isosceles triangle.
Oh, right, right right! I got stuck on the pink one, for some reason I couldn't figure out that I had to gamma/2, to get the top of the yellow one. Got it now. It's very "slim".
Now I know, always look for isosceles triangles and similar.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me. :)

You are welcome. :)

Related to Help With Drawing Triangles: Regular & Isosceles Triangles

1. What is a regular triangle?

A regular triangle is a type of triangle where all three sides are equal in length and all three angles are also equal, measuring 60 degrees each.

2. How can I draw a regular triangle?

To draw a regular triangle, you can use a ruler and protractor to measure and mark the sides and angles accurately. You can also use a compass to draw the three equal sides of the triangle.

3. What is an isosceles triangle?

An isosceles triangle is a type of triangle that has two equal sides and two equal angles. The third side and angle are unequal.

4. How do I draw an isosceles triangle?

To draw an isosceles triangle, you can use a ruler and protractor to measure and mark the base and equal sides, making sure the angles are also equal. You can also use a compass to draw the two equal sides of the triangle.

5. What is the difference between a regular and an isosceles triangle?

The main difference between a regular and an isosceles triangle is that a regular triangle has all equal sides and angles, while an isosceles triangle has two equal sides and angles and one unequal side and angle.