Another magnetic freild question can soemone help me

• Thread starter kevinlikesphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
The weight of the proton is not given in the conversation. The expression for magnetic force as a function of the proton's speed is Fm = qvB, where q is the charge of the proton, v is the speed, and B is the magnitude of Earth's magnetic field. Equating this to the weight of the proton would give us a value for v.
kevinlikesphysics
A proton moves eastward in the plane of Earth's magnetic equator so that its distance from the ground remains constant. What is the speed of the proton if Earth's magnetic field points north and has a magnitude of 5.0 10-5 T?

i got .002 m/s but it was wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
kevinlikesphysics said:
A proton moves eastward in the plane of Earth's magnetic equator so that its distance from the ground remains constant. What is the speed of the proton if Earth's magnetic field points north and has a magnitude of 5.0 10-5 T?

i got .002 m/s but it was wrong
What is the weight of the Proton? What is the expression for magnetic force as a function of the proton's speed? Equate those two forces.

AM

the weight of the proton is 1.67e-27 but i still get the wrong answer i got 2.04e-4 can you work it out for me?

kevinlikesphysics said:
the weight of the proton is 1.67e-27 but i still get the wrong answer i got 2.04e-4 can you work it out for me?
That is the mass of the proton (in kg). What is the weight? (ie. the downward force on the proton).

AM

Related to Another magnetic freild question can soemone help me

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field refers to the area around a magnet or a moving electric charge where the influence of the magnet or charge can be felt. It is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by a magnetic dipole, which is a pair of equal and opposite magnetic poles separated by a small distance. This can occur naturally in certain materials, such as iron, or can be created by passing an electric current through a wire.

3. What are the units of measurement for a magnetic field?

The SI unit for magnetic field is tesla (T), named after the famous inventor and scientist Nikola Tesla. Another commonly used unit is gauss (G), with 1 T = 10,000 G.

4. What are the properties of a magnetic field?

A magnetic field has several important properties, including the ability to exert a force on other magnets or moving charges, the ability to be affected by external magnetic fields, and the ability to induce an electric current in a conductor.

5. How is a magnetic field used in daily life?

Magnetic fields have a wide range of applications in daily life. They are used in generators and motors to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy, in speakers and headphones to convert electrical energy into sound, and in MRI machines to image internal body structures. They are also used in compasses for navigation and in credit cards for data storage.