What is the momentum of a proton moving at 0.7c?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ZedCar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Momentum Proton
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
ZedCar
Messages
353
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



A proton of rest mass 1.67 x 10^-27 kg is moving at a constant speed of 0.7c

What is it's momentum?

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



Using E = γmc^2 I obtained;

E = 2.10 x 10^-10 JThen with;

E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2 and solving for p I got;

p = 8.47 x 10^-15
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ZedCar said:

Homework Statement



A proton of rest mass 1.67 x 10^-27 kg is moving at a constant speed of 0.7c

What is it's momentum?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Using E = γmc^2 I obtained;

E = 2.10 x 10^-10 J
I agree.

Then with;

E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2 and solving for p I got;

p = 8.47 x 10^-15
That's the correct method, but I'm getting something quite different. It is probably just an arithmetic mistake. Can you show more details of this calculation?
 
Redbelly98 said:
I agree.That's the correct method, but I'm getting something quite different.

Are you getting 4.88 x 10^-19 ?