Proton moving through magnetic field

In summary: So if I do that..I get something like .00000697In summary, the problem involves a proton moving through a uniform magnetic field with given components and velocity. The question is to find the velocity in the x and y directions at a specific time. The relevant equation is F=qV x B. With the given information, the cross product is calculated and equated to determine the velocity components. It is important to convert the magnetic field from mT to T in the calculations.
mariahkraft

Homework Statement

A proton moves through a uniform magnetic field given by =(6.97-9.54+35.0) mT. At time t1, the proton has a velocity given by =vx+vy+(1.58 km/s) and the magnetic force on the proton is FB=(4.72 X 10-17N)+(3.45 X 10-17N).

(a) At that instant, what is vx?

(b) At that instant, what is vy?

Homework Equations

F=qV x B

The Attempt at a Solution

So, in order to find the velocity in the x direction I am assuming you do this:
(4.27E-17)i +(3.45E-17)j=e[(vx+vy+1.58k)x(6.97i-9.54j+35k)]

That is really all I have because I can't figure out the cross product. I end up with vx terms in the j direction and I don't know what to do with them. I hope I am making sense. Please let me know if youcan help. THANK YOU!

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please clarify your vector velocity and B-field components? And then show how you derived the vector force components? Please label the x, y, and z components explicitly in each equation.

they are given in the problem

b= (6.97i-9.54j+35.0k)

and the vector force was not derives as is also given in the equation as: (vx)i+(vy)j+(1.58 km/s)k

You have the field and the charge and the initial veloity. You have what you need. What are the relevant equations?

You did leave off the i, j, and k unit vectors when describing the problem which left a little to the imagination. But it looks like your equation:

(4.27E-17)i +(3.45E-17)j=e[(vx+vy+1.58k)x(6.97i-9.54j+35k)]

looks correct so far. Could you show us the cross product you ended up getting so we could see if you did something wrong? And getting a vx term in the j direction is alright. Once you have the cross product, you just equate the i-terms on both sides of the equation, and do the same for the j- and k-terms and solve.

for the cross product i got:
(35vy+15.07)i+(35vx-11.07)j+(-9.54vx-6.97vy)k

if I do this:
(4.72E-17)=(35vy+15.07) and I solve for vy that is what the velocity in the x directions is? .431? Why am I solving for vy if i am looking for vx?

hmm I bet I need to convert the mT to T huh?

1. What is a proton?

A proton is a positively charged subatomic particle that is found in the nucleus of an atom. It has a mass of approximately 1 atomic mass unit and carries a charge of +1. It is one of the building blocks of matter.

2. How does a proton move through a magnetic field?

A proton moves through a magnetic field due to the interaction between its positive charge and the magnetic field. This interaction causes the proton to experience a force known as the Lorentz force, which causes it to move in a circular path perpendicular to both the direction of motion and the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What is the significance of a proton moving through a magnetic field?

The movement of a proton through a magnetic field is important in various fields of science and technology. For example, it is used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI, where the protons in our body are manipulated by a magnetic field to produce images of our internal organs. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and in the study of the Earth's magnetic field.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the movement of a proton?

The strength of the magnetic field has a direct impact on the movement of a proton. A stronger magnetic field will cause the proton to move in a tighter circle, while a weaker magnetic field will result in a wider circle. This is because the Lorentz force is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field.

5. Can a proton's movement through a magnetic field be controlled?

Yes, a proton's movement through a magnetic field can be controlled by varying the strength and direction of the magnetic field. This is essential in various applications, such as in particle accelerators where precise control over the movement of protons is necessary for experiments and research.