1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proton moving in magnetic field

1. Mar 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At a particular instant a proton is traveling in the +z direction, with speed 4105 m/s. At the location of the proton there is a magnetic field of magnitude 0.25 T in the +x direction, due to current running in a nearby coil.
    what is the direction and magnitude of force on the proton?

2. Relevant equations
    none i think?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Do you use the right hand rule possibly?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2009 #2

danago

Gold Member

The right hand rule can give you the direction of the force, but not the magnitude.

What equation do you know that gives the force on a charged particle of charge q moving with velocity v in a magnetic field of strength B?

4. Mar 26, 2009 #3

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Try to find out the formula for the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field. The direction of the field is given by the left hand rule.

5. Mar 26, 2009 #4
    the equation is F=qvB but then using the left hand rule since it is a proton would give me negative y direction if I'm not mistaken and that is incorrect?

6. Mar 26, 2009 #5

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

You can use either right handed screw rule or Flemming's left hand rule.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook