1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Probability Question(Not so simple)

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An honest coin is throughn again and again until two consigutive heads or tails appears.
    Assume that the troughs are independent. Let T be the number of throughs which can take on the values 2,3,....

Calculate [tex]P(T = n)[/tex] for [tex]n = 2,3,...[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

P(HH,TT) = P(HH) + P(TT) = [tex] 2^{-n} + 2^{-n} = \frac{1}{2^{(-n-1)}}[/tex]

for n = 2,3,....

Does this look okay? Or do I need to add something more text?? If yes, could somebody please give me a hint or surgestion?

Sincerely Yours
    Beowulf

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2007 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

(you have summed the final answer wrongly. Also, please use a spell-checker.)

If I understand correctly, (n-1) throws have gone before the nth throw, with alternating H and T. The (n-1)th and the nth throw are HH or TT.

If it had started with H, then it has gone like HTHT... for n-1 throws. The P of that is (1/2)^(n-1). The P of the nth throw matching that of n-1 is 1/2. So, total P for this case is (1/2)^(n-1)*(1/2).

Similarly, if it had started with T, then the total P of nth being same as n-1 is again (1/2)^(n-1)*(1/2).

So, the reqd P is the sum of the two = (1/2)^(n-1).

This tallies with your answer.

(As a check, let n=2, which means that the first two throws will be the same. We know that P of HH or TT is 1/2. Similarly, test for n=3. HTT or THH has prob 1/4.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?