1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another proof of limit by definition

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that as x --> c, lim (x^2) = (c^2) using only the definition. What does this tell you about x --> c, lim (x^3) = (c^3)? x --> c, lim (x^4) = (c^4) ? Prove it.

2. Relevant equations
    The definition of a limit.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let $\epsilon > 0$ be given and let $\delta=\sqrt{c^2 + \epsilon} - c$. Then, if $0 < |x - c| < \delta$, then
    $|x^2 - c^2| = |x - c||x + c| < \delta|x + c|$.
    Since $|x +c| --> 2c$, and $|\delta| --> 0$ their product can be made as small as you want, and we are done.

I think c^4 case goes right off c^2, but I have no idea where to start with c^3. Also, is there a way to make the proof above a little more rigorous?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not "$". Use [ tex ] and [ /tex ] (without the spaces which I put in so you could see the code itself.

x3- c3= (x- c)(x2+ cx+ c2)

4. Oct 26, 2008 #3
    So x-c = [tex]\delta[/tex], and x2+ cx+ c2 --> 3c^2.

So if [tex]\delta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\epsilon}{3c^2}[/tex], that's good. But how do I write this rigorously?

Thanks again

5. Oct 27, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since you were specifically asked to do this "using only the definition", saying x2+ cx+ c2--> 3c2 may not be allowed.

What you can do is this: Assume that |x-c|< 1 so c-1< x< c+1. Then, assumin,temporarily, that 0<c-1, c2- 2c-1< x2< c2+ 2c+ 1 and c2- c< cx< c2+ c. Adding those, 3c2-c+ 1< x2+cx+ c2< 3c2+ 3c+ 1. Since you want [itex](x-c)(x^2+ cx+ c^2< \epsilon[/itex], you will want to use [itex](x-c)(x^2+ cx+ c^2< (x-1)(3c^2- c+ 1)< \epsilon[/itex]. Of course, in order to guarentee |x-c|< 1 you will have to say "let [itex]\delta[/itex] be the smaller of 1 or ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?