Another question about complex potential

In summary, the conversation is about using complex potential to model fluid flow problems, specifically, interference from two point-like sources. The participant shares their previous success with using complex potential and presents their idea of applying it to interference. They also ask for help in understanding the connection between their calculations and the classical picture of interference. Another participant explains that interference is a result of phase differences in oscillatory phenomena and cannot be applied to a static situation.
Omri
Hi,

For those of you who remember my last thread here, I'm doing a high school graduation project about conformal mapping and the complex potential applied to fluid flow problems. The last time I asked for help you were incredibly helpful so I thought I'd share another issue with you.

I thought of trying to apply the complex potential method to one of the most basic problem I studied in wave theory: interference, for example from two point-like sources. This looks natural if I recall that for a single source at point a we have the complex potential
[tex]\frac{Q}{2\pi} \mathrm{Ln} (z-a)[/tex]
and superposition holds, so if we have two sources of equal strength at points d,-d (d is real), the overall potential should be
[tex]\frac{Q}{2\pi} (\mathrm{Ln} (z-d) + \mathrm{Ln} (z+d) )[/tex]
So I tried to work it out algebrically and found that the streamlines should be the curves that give rise so
[tex]x^2 - y^2 - \frac{2xy}{c} = d^2[/tex]
where c are the constants that represent the different streamlines. Since I don't recognize this algebric form of a curve, I just put it in Maxima and it gave me these graphs:
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/5893/complex1qq5.png"
(d=0)
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/7287/complex2wx5.png"
(d=0.1)
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/4890/complex3xu8.png"
(d=1)

Is that consistent with the "usual" interference analysis done in wave theory? And if so, how is it related to the classical picture, such as:
http://www.paulfriedlander.com/images/timetravel/interference%20-1.jpg"
I realize that the streamlines are the maximum lines of the pictures above, but are they really the same as what I got?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please people... my thread is getting down :-)

Just one more jump and I'll stop annoying you guys...

Eh, you shouldn't compare *waves* with the electrostatic picture you calculate. But at first glance, your electrostatic calculation looks right (didn't do the real expansion myself).

What you are calculating is the electric field lines of a static distribution, while the 3rd picture is one of waves. There are of course some similarities in both, but you are dealing with different situations nevertheless.

Doesn't the electrostatic distribution look intuitive to you ? Maybe you should also find the equipotential lines, and superpose them. That will give you a more intuitive picture with both field lines and equipotential lines.

Actually I'm working with fluids rather than electostatics. I guess it's the same but my terminology is more fluids-related.

The thing is that I was wondering, if the complex potential let's you model fluid flow situations, will it describe interference? I mean, two sources are supposed to create an interference pattern, and I don't know if this is what the calculation above yields.

Thanks!

Omri said:
Actually I'm working with fluids rather than electostatics. I guess it's the same but my terminology is more fluids-related.

The thing is that I was wondering, if the complex potential let's you model fluid flow situations, will it describe interference? I mean, two sources are supposed to create an interference pattern, and I don't know if this is what the calculation above yields.

Thanks!

Well, interference is the result of the fact that there are phase differences at a certain point, between the contribution of the field at that point from different sources (and that that phase difference varies from point to point). Now, phases are properties of oscillatory phenomena, while we are describing a static situation here. So in a static situation you won't have any interference. In a static situation, a positive source has a positive contribution everywhere, and always, and a negative source has a negative contribution everywhere, and always. So it is not that the SIGN of their contributions will alter from point to point.

1. What is a complex potential?

A complex potential is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to describe the behavior of a potential field, which can be represented using complex numbers. It combines the real and imaginary components of a potential function to describe both the magnitude and direction of a field.

2. How is a complex potential different from a real potential?

A complex potential allows for a more comprehensive description of a potential field compared to a real potential, which only describes the magnitude of a field. The use of complex numbers in a complex potential also allows for the representation of both the real and imaginary parts of a field, providing more information about its behavior.

3. How is a complex potential used in physics?

Complex potentials are commonly used in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of potential fields. They are particularly useful in situations where both the magnitude and direction of a field are important, such as in the study of fluid flow.

4. What are some important properties of complex potentials?

Complex potentials have several important properties, including linearity, analyticity, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These properties allow for the use of complex analysis techniques to solve problems involving complex potentials, making them a powerful tool in physics and engineering.

5. Are there any real-life applications of complex potentials?

Yes, complex potentials have many real-life applications. They are used in the design of aircraft wings, wind turbines, and other aerodynamic systems to analyze and optimize fluid flow. They are also used in electrical engineering to study electromagnetic fields and in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in potential fields.