Another simple harmonic motion problem

In summary, the problem involves an object undergoing SHM with a period of 0.9 s and an amplitude of 0.32 m. At t=0, the object is at x=0.32 m and is instantaneously at rest. To find the time it takes the object to go from 0.32 m to 0.16 m, the formula for angular frequency is used to solve for t, resulting in t=0.15 s. To go from 0.32 m to 0, the object must complete 1/4 of a cycle, leading to a time of 0.225 s to
bdh2991

Homework Statement

An object is undergoing SHM with period 0.9 s and amplitude 0.32 m. At t=0, the object is at x=0.32 m and is instantaneously at rest. Calculate the time it takes the object to go from 0.32 m to 0.16 m, and to go from 0.16m to 0 m.

Homework Equations

x=Acos(wt+θ)
f=1/T
w=2∏f

The Attempt at a Solution

I completely understood the first part of the problem when going from x= .32 to x= .16. using the formulas to come up with the angular frequency and then just solving for t, in which i got the answer t= 0.15 s.

I'm confused about the second part because it isn't starting from t=0. I was thinking that the only difference in the formula would be the phase angle, i just don't understand how to come up with that. i thought that the phase angle is the angle in which x is at the position you are starting at, if you start at a position .16 m with an unknown t-value, how do you know what the phase angle is?

Physics news on Phys.org
I also got 0.15s for the first part.
To go from 0.32 to 0 is 1/4 of a cycle. I used this to calculate the time to go from 0.16 to 0

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to its displacement from a fixed equilibrium point and is directed towards the equilibrium point. This results in a sinusoidal or wave-like motion.

What is an example of simple harmonic motion?

An example of simple harmonic motion is a mass attached to a spring. When the mass is pulled and released, it will oscillate back and forth around the equilibrium point with a constant amplitude and period.

What is the mathematical equation for simple harmonic motion?

The mathematical equation for simple harmonic motion is x(t) = A sin(ωt + φ), where x(t) is the displacement of the object at time t, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

What factors affect the period of simple harmonic motion?

The period of simple harmonic motion is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant of the spring, and the amplitude of the motion. A larger mass or a stiffer spring will result in a longer period, while a larger amplitude will result in a shorter period.

How is simple harmonic motion related to energy?

In simple harmonic motion, the total mechanical energy (potential energy + kinetic energy) remains constant throughout the motion. As the object moves towards the equilibrium point, potential energy decreases while kinetic energy increases, and vice versa. This results in a continuous exchange of energy between potential and kinetic forms.