1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about this simple harmonic motion problem

1. Apr 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle with a mass of 65 g is moving with simple harmonic motion. At time t = 0, the particle is at its extreme positive displacement of 18.0 cm. The period of the motion is 0.600 s. Find the vecocity of the particle at t = 1.35 s

2. Relevant equations

(1). ω=2∏/T or
    (2). ω=√k/m

(3). x=Acos(ω∏+δ)
    (4). v=-Aωsin(ω∏+δ)

3. The attempt at a solution

First question: to find ω, why don't I get the same answer for both equations 1 and 2?

With equation 1 I get 10.47 (which I think is correct) and with eqn. 2 I get 7.45.

Second question: How do I find the phase change for this problem? I tried to set the displacement equation equal to zero at t=0 and im getting ∏/2 but it seems that the only way to get the correct answer for the problem is to have zero phase change.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It will help if show your calculations. In particular, how did you determine the value of k to use in eqn. 2?

The problem states that the particle is at its extreme positive displacement at t = 0.

4. Apr 28, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How do you know what k is?

5. Apr 28, 2013 #4
    I was thinking I could use hooke's law to find k.

Tsny...

I guess i'm just confused at finding phase changes.

6. Apr 28, 2013 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does the equation x = Acos(ωt+δ) become for t = 0? Knowing that x is at it's maximum positive value at t = 0, what can you conclude about the value of δ?

7. Apr 28, 2013 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But how did you get a value of k to calculate omega of 7.45?

8. Apr 28, 2013 #7
    Using F=kx

0.65N=k(.18)

k=3.61

ω=√3.61/.065=7.45

TSny... I think I see what you're saying. x would equal 18 at t=0.

so 18cm = Acos(δ) ?

Also, how do you quote two people in one reply?

9. Apr 28, 2013 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But you can't assume that the force acting on the particle is the weight of the particle. The simple harmonic motion might be due to a spring, and the force would be whatever the force of the spring happens to be for a given value of x.

What does "A" stand for in this equation? What is the value of A?

Pause your cursor over the "M" button next to the "Quote" button in the lower right corner and instructions will appear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted