1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Another simple harmonic motion question

1. Jan 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of mass m begins at rest from x = +24 cm and oscillates about its equilibrium position at x = 0 with a period of 1.4 s. Write expressions for the following. (Enter your numerical values to two decimal places.)

(a) the position x as a function of t

I solved for omega using omega = 2pi/T where T is 1.4. This gave me the answer 8.9759s. I then plugged everything I knew into the equation x = Acos(omega*t) giving .24cos(8.9759*t). Apparently, this is wrong. It might actually be because of it asking me to put it into two decimal places, but I want to make sure I am correct before I put an answer in. (Webassign is very picky.) Is there a phase constant in this instance? I'm thinking no. If so, would .24cos(8.98t) be my correct answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2010 #2
    Try calculating the angular frequency again :) I got 4.49.

4. Jan 17, 2010 #3
    Ah, you're right... dumb math errors. Is that the only mistake I made? Is the correct answer then .24cos(4.49t) ?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook