1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another simple torque question

1. Jul 30, 2010 #1
    In this diagram:

[PLAIN]http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/2853/physicsqb.png [Broken]

how do I calculate the resulting angular and linear acceleration?

if I want to consider the result as a combination of a rotation and a translation?

or, in other words, I don't want to say "there is a pivot" I want to say "what are the forces that result in the rod rotating around the pivot as opposed to its center of mass" ?

or "how can I explain the change in outcome due to adding that pivot" ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2010 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You use τ = Ipivotα to calculate the angular acceleration. It makes no sense to ask about the linear acceleration unless you specify the point whose linear acceleration you are interested in.

Exactly what is it that undergoes a combination of rotation and translation in this case? All the points on this rigid body describe circles of various radii centered at the pivot.

Then you need to find expressions for the horizontal and vertical components of the force exerted by the pivot on the object.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook