Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Travesty of Science - Rejecting Solar Panels For...

1. Dec 14, 2015 #1

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2015 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

4. Dec 14, 2015 #3

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

According to Snopes (a website dedicated to determining which [mostly Internet based] viral memes are false and which are genuine), it's genuine.

http://www.snopes.com/north-carolina-town-rejects-solar-panels/

5. Dec 14, 2015 #4
    I used to say ridiculous things for fun. I had to give it up. There are so many people who believe ridiculous things. Strangers concluded that I was one of them.

6. Dec 14, 2015 #5
    To be fair, the article quotes only two people who spoke up with ridiculous objections to solar panels. The real community objection might have been something like suspicion of a corporation coming in from the outside and altering the balance of local politics and the local economy.

7. Dec 19, 2015 #6

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

That was my initial reaction.
    After some browsing, this will be the 1st time I've disagreed with Snopes.

Not completely ridiculous, IMHO.
    It's actually quite complicated:

I kind of agree with this.

I kind of agree with this, also.
    They also referenced:
    Which kind of impressed me,

dailycaller also said;
    Which confirmed my suspicion that "dailycaller" was really a bunch of ball faced liars, as http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/ldavis/pp.pdf [Broken] was titled; "The Effect of Power Plants on Local Housing Values and Rents"

Only once in the paper was the word "solar" used.

But that sparked my interest of the people in the original article.
    http://www.roanoke-chowannewsherald.com/2015/12/08/woodland-rejects-solar-farm/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link [Broken] [roanoke-chowannewsherald.com]

where;
    This kind of reminded me of the "correlation vs causation" thingy, so I took a Google-Earth snapshot of the Woodland area, and couldn't really see any "solar farms".

Woodland.NC.May.2015.jpg
    The yellow line is one mile long.

Does anyone know where Mary Hobbs lives?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. Dec 19, 2015 #7
    Excellent research once again, Omcheeto!

9. Dec 19, 2015 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Two people with the same last names.

10. Dec 19, 2015 #9

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

:redface:
    As a hyper-advocate of both solar and greenery, I was somewhat appalled that North Carolina is #4 at installing solar in such a green state.
    As that one lady* said; "areas near solar panels where vegetation is brown and dead because it did not receive enough sunlight"

extracted from the article:
    "She said she has observed areas near solar panels where vegetation is brown and dead because it did not receive enough sunlight," says Hoggard. Mann's husband went on to explain that "the solar farms would suck up all the energy from the sun."

Obviously, her husband is the idiot, who started this whole thing, when he should have just shut up, and let the expert talk.

See: Mansplaining.

*Jane Mann: local native, concerned about the natural vegetation that makes the community beautiful, and retired science teacher.

11. Dec 19, 2015 #10
    Except that, hehe, from the link you yourself dug up:

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  12. Dec 19, 2015 #11

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There's an interesting lesson in all of this - that not everything is as written on the internet!

Sometimes, perhaps we're a little too willing to believe something rings consistent with our fears.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook