1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Two-dimensional Dynamics Problem

1. Sep 25, 2006 #1
    18. A particle starts from rest at r0=9.0 j(unit vector) m and moves in the xy-plane with the velocity shown in the figure below. the particle passes through a wire hoop located at r1=20i m, then continues onward.

a. At what time does the particle pass through the hoop?
    b. What is the value of v4y, the y-component of the particle's velocity at t=4s?

c. Calculate and plot the particle's trajectory from t=0 to t=4s

I know how to do part c, but can't do it without parts a and b. So far all I've done is sketch out the graphs on my paper as well as the graphs of their derivatives. Thefigure referenced in the problem is the following:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2006 #2
    solved problem.
  4. Sep 25, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

Divide the problem into two parts:

Part 1, the particle undergoes constant acceleration in the x direction, up to 2 seconds (based on the graph), so determine how far the particle goes in the x-direction in two seconds.

Part 2, the particle travels at constant x-velocity passing through the hoop.

Now, if the particle travels along the line from the beginning (0,9) to the hoop (20, 0), their is a definite relationship between y and x, and therefore between vy = dy/dt and vx = dx/dt.

find y = mx + b, then dy/dt = m dx/dt.
  5. Jan 28, 2007 #4

I still dont understand, what would I do with y=mx+b once I find it, how can I find time?
  6. Jan 28, 2007 #5

Staff: Mentor

Welcome back to PF, macgirl06. :approve:

I was wondering, is the graph on the right supposed to be a plot vy(t) rather than vx(t),

The two graphs result in a parametric problem.

vx(t) and vy(t) are independent of each other, but they depend on time, the independent variable. There is however a relationship between the velocities by virtue of common dependence on t.

Now vx(t) is constantly increasing from t=0 to t=2 (approximately), and then is constant thereafter.

vx(t) = 5t, so that at t=0, vx(0) =0, and
    vx(2) = 10, and thereafter stays constant.

vy(0) = 0 and vy(4) = v4y ??

Then one can integrate v(t) with respect to t,

[tex]x(t)\,=\,\int_{t_0}^t\,v(t)\,dt\,=\,x(t)\,-\,x_0[/tex] and similarly for y(t).

See - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/acons.html#c3 and the other plates on that page.

In the case of taking x(t) and y(t) and finding a formula as y = mx + b, time is simply removed. However, in the problem given, one still needs two equations because the behavior of x(t) is different in the two intervals.

One can also take x(t) and find t(x) to solve for t.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?