Another Two-dimensional Dynamics Problem

• Thread starter mst3kjunkie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the problem involves a particle starting from rest at a given position and moving in the xy-plane with a given velocity. The particle passes through a wire hoop and continues onward. To determine the time at which the particle passes through the hoop, the problem can be divided into two parts: the particle's acceleration in the x-direction up to 2 seconds, and the particle's constant x-velocity passing through the hoop. By finding the relationship between the velocities vy(t) and vx(t), one can integrate to find x(t) and y(t) and solve for t. Alternatively, one can solve for t by finding t(x).
mst3kjunkie
18. A particle starts from rest at r0=9.0 j(unit vector) m and moves in the xy-plane with the velocity shown in the figure below. the particle passes through a wire hoop located at r1=20i m, then continues onward.

a. At what time does the particle pass through the hoop?
b. What is the value of v4y, the y-component of the particle's velocity at t=4s?

c. Calculate and plot the particle's trajectory from t=0 to t=4s

I know how to do part c, but can't do it without parts a and b. So far all I've done is sketch out the graphs on my paper as well as the graphs of their derivatives. Thefigure referenced in the problem is the following:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7841&stc=1&d=1159234661
graphs.JPG

Attachments

• graphs.JPG
    graphs.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 914
Physics news on Phys.org
solved problem.

Divide the problem into two parts:

Part 1, the particle undergoes constant acceleration in the x direction, up to 2 seconds (based on the graph), so determine how far the particle goes in the x-direction in two seconds.

Part 2, the particle travels at constant x-velocity passing through the hoop.

Now, if the particle travels along the line from the beginning (0,9) to the hoop (20, 0), their is a definite relationship between y and x, and therefore between vy = dy/dt and vx = dx/dt.

find y = mx + b, then dy/dt = m dx/dt.

help

I still don't understand, what would I do with y=mx+b once I find it, how can I find time?

Welcome back to PF, macgirl06. :approve:

I was wondering, is the graph on the right supposed to be a plot vy(t) rather than vx(t),

The two graphs result in a parametric problem.

vx(t) and vy(t) are independent of each other, but they depend on time, the independent variable. There is however a relationship between the velocities by virtue of common dependence on t.

Now vx(t) is constantly increasing from t=0 to t=2 (approximately), and then is constant thereafter.

vx(t) = 5t, so that at t=0, vx(0) =0, and
vx(2) = 10, and thereafter stays constant.

vy(0) = 0 and vy(4) = v4y ??

Then one can integrate v(t) with respect to t,

[tex]x(t)\,=\,\int_{t_0}^t\,v(t)\,dt\,=\,x(t)\,-\,x_0[/tex] and similarly for y(t).

See - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/acons.html#c3 and the other plates on that page.

In the case of taking x(t) and y(t) and finding a formula as y = mx + b, time is simply removed. However, in the problem given, one still needs two equations because the behavior of x(t) is different in the two intervals.

One can also take x(t) and find t(x) to solve for t.

Last edited:

1. What is a two-dimensional dynamics problem?

A two-dimensional dynamics problem is a mathematical problem that involves analyzing the motion of objects in two-dimensional space, taking into account the forces acting on the objects.

2. What types of forces are typically considered in two-dimensional dynamics problems?

The most common forces considered in two-dimensional dynamics problems are gravity, friction, and applied forces. Other forces such as air resistance may also be taken into account depending on the specific problem.

3. How are two-dimensional dynamics problems solved?

Two-dimensional dynamics problems are typically solved using mathematical equations and principles such as Newton's laws of motion and the equations of motion. These equations can be solved using algebra or calculus.

4. What are some real-world applications of two-dimensional dynamics problems?

Two-dimensional dynamics problems have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. They can be used to analyze the motion of objects in space, design structures that can withstand forces, and calculate the trajectory of projectiles.

5. Are there any limitations to using two-dimensional dynamics to analyze real-world problems?

While two-dimensional dynamics can provide valuable insights and solutions to many real-world problems, it does have its limitations. For example, it does not take into account the effects of three-dimensional forces or the rotation of objects. In such cases, more advanced methods may be needed.