Answer check-derive a general formula for horizontal displacement

In summary, the formula for the horizontal distance covered by a projectile launched horizontally at speed vi from height h is vi[SQRT[2h/g]].
negation

Homework Statement

Derive a general formula for the horizontal distance covered by a projectile launched horizontally at speed vi from height, h.

The Attempt at a Solution

vyf = vyi -gt
t = vyf/g
x = vxi .t = vi cosΘ (t = vyf/g) = [vi^2 sinΘcosΘ]/g

Physics news on Phys.org
The launch is horizontal, so your theta is known. You run into trouble with sin theta, which is 0.

Also, I don't find any dependence on h. Don't you think that if you launch from a high fortress, the projectile covers a bigger distance than if you launch from a small hill ?

Tip: make a drawing!

BvU said:
The launch is horizontal, so your theta is known. You run into trouble with sin theta, which is 0.

Also, I don't find any dependence on h. Don't you think that if you launch from a high fortress, the projectile covers a bigger distance than if you launch from a small hill ?

Tip: make a drawing!

My solution was to find the time taken for the projectile to reach the ground. Then sub that time, t, into the horizontal displacement formula vi cos Θ .t. Is there a reason why this is not viable?

The idea is excellent. But don't you think that h should appear somewhere in that time ?
You replace vyf by vi sin theta. That is not good. In the first place because vi sin theta is 0. In the second place
because vyf = gt.

Made a drawing yet ?

BvU said:
The idea is excellent. But don't you think that h should appear somewhere in that time ?
You replace vyf by vi sin theta. That is not good. In the first place because vi sin theta is 0. In the second place
because vyf = gt.

Made a drawing yet ?

I have the drawing already. It's really just the second half of the parabola.

BvU said:
because vyf = gt.

Made a drawing yet ?

It's not an issue, is it? Since Θ = 0°, then, vi sin(0°) = 0.

Two approaches possible, in fact they are the same.
You can get vyf from an energy balance mgh = 1/2 m vyf^2
or you can get vyf by solving for y(t) = 0 the equation y(t) = y0 + vyi * t - 1/2 * g * t^2 an using that t in your expression for x.

BvU said:
or you can get vyf by solving for y(t) = 0 the equation y(t) = y0 + vyi * t - 1/2 * g * t^2 an using that t in your expression for x.

It struck me that the equation y(t)= y(0) + vi.t -0.5gt^2 can be reduced to y(t) - y(0) = h = vi.t - 0.5gt^2. From there I can solve for time. I think this approach is a parallel reasoning to the one in my attempted solution and hence I do not think my answer in the OP is wrong. The only difference would be that using h allow me to express the solution in the intended manner the question demands.

BvU said:

h = vyi.t - 0.5gt^2
but since yf < yi , then, yf - yi = -h, and vyi = 0 since vi sin 0° = 0
hence, - h = -0.5gt^2
t = SQRT[2h/g] (time taken for projectile to reach the ground)

given time, t = SQRT [ 2h/g], the horizontal displace in this period of time
= vxi.t = vi cos(0°) [SQRT[2h/g]] = vi[SQRT[2h/g]]

Excellent.

1. What is the general formula for horizontal displacement?

The general formula for horizontal displacement is given by: x = x0 + v0xt + ½at2, where x is the horizontal displacement, x0 is the initial horizontal position, v0x is the initial horizontal velocity, t is the time, and a is the horizontal acceleration.

2. How is the general formula for horizontal displacement derived?

The general formula for horizontal displacement is derived by using the kinematic equations of motion and incorporating the concept of constant acceleration. These equations describe the relationship between displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time.

3. What does each term in the general formula for horizontal displacement represent?

The term x0 represents the initial horizontal position, or the starting point of the object. The term v0x represents the initial horizontal velocity, or the rate of change of horizontal displacement at the starting point. The term t represents the time elapsed, and a represents the horizontal acceleration, or the rate of change of horizontal velocity.

4. Can the general formula for horizontal displacement be used for any object?

Yes, the general formula for horizontal displacement can be used for any object as long as it experiences constant acceleration. This includes objects moving in a straight line at a constant speed, as well as objects undergoing non-uniform motion with changing acceleration.

5. How can the general formula for horizontal displacement be applied in real-life situations?

The general formula for horizontal displacement can be used in various real-life situations, such as calculating the distance traveled by a car on a straight road with constant acceleration, determining the displacement of a projectile in horizontal motion, or predicting the position of a satellite in orbit. It is a fundamental formula in physics and has many practical applications.