1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Answer check-derive a general formula for horizontal displacement

1. Jan 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derive a general formula for the horizontal distance covered by a projectile launched horizontally at speed vi from height, h.

3. The attempt at a solution

vyf = vyi -gt
    t = vyf/g
    x = vxi .t = vi cosΘ (t = vyf/g) = [vi^2 sinΘcosΘ]/g

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The launch is horizontal, so your theta is known. You run into trouble with sin theta, which is 0.

Also, I don't find any dependence on h. Don't you think that if you launch from a high fortress, the projectile covers a bigger distance than if you launch from a small hill ?

Tip: make a drawing!

4. Jan 25, 2014 #3
    My solution was to find the time taken for the projectile to reach the ground. Then sub that time, t, into the horizontal displacement formula vi cos Θ .t. Is there a reason why this is not viable?

5. Jan 25, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The idea is excellent. But don't you think that h should appear somewhere in that time ?
    You replace vyf by vi sin theta. That is not good. In the first place because vi sin theta is 0. In the second place
    because vyf = gt.

Made a drawing yet ?

6. Jan 25, 2014 #5
    I have the drawing already. It's really just the second half of the parabola.

7. Jan 25, 2014 #6
    It's not an issue, is it? Since Θ = 0°, then, vi sin(0°) = 0.

8. Jan 25, 2014 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Two approaches possible, in fact they are the same.
    You can get vyf from an energy balance mgh = 1/2 m vyf^2
    or you can get vyf by solving for y(t) = 0 the equation y(t) = y0 + vyi * t - 1/2 * g * t^2 an using that t in your expression for x.

9. Jan 25, 2014 #8
    It struck me that the equation y(t)= y(0) + vi.t -0.5gt^2 can be reduced to y(t) - y(0) = h = vi.t - 0.5gt^2. From there I can solve for time. I think this approach is a parallel reasoning to the one in my attempted solution and hence I do not think my answer in the OP is wrong. The only difference would be that using h allow me to express the solution in the intended manner the question demands.

10. Jan 25, 2014 #9

h = vyi.t - 0.5gt^2
    but since yf < yi , then, yf - yi = -h, and vyi = 0 since vi sin 0° = 0
    hence, - h = -0.5gt^2
    t = SQRT[2h/g] (time taken for projectile to reach the ground)

given time, t = SQRT [ 2h/g], the horizontal displace in this period of time
    = vxi.t = vi cos(0°) [SQRT[2h/g]] = vi[SQRT[2h/g]]

11. Jan 25, 2014 #10

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Excellent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted