1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ansys- two layers adhered to each other

1. Apr 21, 2010 #1
    Hello,
    I am new to ansys. I am trying to model two layers adhered to each other and a force being applied to the first kayer. How do I pput in the boundary conditions for the two layers "adhered" to each other.
    Thanks.
    Raj

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2

minger

Science Advisor

Really depends on exactly what you're trying to measure. There are three methods I can think of listed here in increasing difficulty and accuracy
    1. Make sure that each layer is it's own volume or area. Mesh each one separately but make sure that they share lines or areas at the split.
    2. If the layers are small and you are looking for good bending results. Then consider the use of one of the solid element types which allows for multiple layers to be defined.
    3. Lastly, you can go back to the first method, but make sure that they do not share lines and areas. Then connect the two region with contact elements. This allows you to define the adhesion between the two surfaces.

4. Apr 22, 2010 #3
    Thank you very much minger. Actually, I was wondering how to model the boundary conditions. "contact" option requires frictional coefficients to be defined but here the two layers are "rigidly" adhered to each other and I dont have any the frictional coeffs between the two surfaces. I know that there is "no slip" (perfect adhesion) under the applied force. Is there some specific boundary condition that can be used for this. How will that be done? Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

5. Apr 26, 2010 #4

minger

Science Advisor

You only need frictional coefficients for frictional contact. You can also use rigid contacts (see coupling commands in the help manual).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook