ANSYS: Calculate SIF w/ Excel for Fracture Mechanics Analysis

• Thread starter saurabh anand
  • Start date
  • Tags
    ansys excel
In summary,If you are new to Ansys, you can use a GUI to apply the forces and solve the model. Alternatively, you can record the actions using a macro and solve the model automatically.
saurabh anand
Hello all,
I am a new user to Ansys. I am currently using it for fracture mechanics analysis to calculate the stress intensity factor(SIF). I am supposed to calculate the SIF for different force applied to my model. The forces are on an excel sheet. Is there some way I could link this excel sheet to my analysis so that it can give me the SIF for each force? I am currently doing it manually i.e. changing the value of force each time and solving the model.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok...so the thing is if you are new to ansys, just like vb or excel macro recording, Ansys also records everything you do using a GUI. So just apply the forces manually a couple of times first. Solve the model the number of times you applied the forces and get the results. Follow the process you usually follow. Then just go to File option in Ansys GUI and list log file. Whatever you've done will be recorded and shown in this file. The next thing is whenever you don't understand any command that's listed in the Ansys log file, just Google it.
Now coming to your specific problem, you can put a *do loop for changing the force every time. Just create an array for the forces you have,say F(10,1) in Ansys using a * Dim command. Save the excel force file as a text file (or any other format that Ansys might support to read) then read it in array you created. That would store all the forces in the array.
Next when you put a do loop, each time the loop will execute, it will just take the value of force corresponding to this array parameter for do loop (i, corresponding to force F(i,1)), (and using the log files and commands you can see each time what has changed and how it has been solved) and solve the problem each time automatically without you worrying about the number of forces you've to solve for.

PS: You can also create an account on Xansys forum, Eng tips etc. Those might come in handy for the future!
Hope this helps.

Thankyou koolraj for the reply. its much appreciated.

Related to ANSYS: Calculate SIF w/ Excel for Fracture Mechanics Analysis

1. How do I use ANSYS to calculate Stress Intensity Factors (SIF) for Fracture Mechanics Analysis?

To calculate SIF using ANSYS, you will first need to create a finite element model of the structure in ANSYS. Once the model is created, you can apply the appropriate boundary conditions and loads. Then, you can use the ANSYS command prompt to output the results, including the SIF values. Alternatively, you can use the ANSYS Workbench environment to set up and solve the analysis, which will also output the SIF values.

2. Can I use Excel to calculate SIF for Fracture Mechanics Analysis in ANSYS?

Yes, it is possible to use Excel to calculate SIF values for Fracture Mechanics Analysis in ANSYS. You will need to export the ANSYS results, including the stress values, and input them into a spreadsheet. Then, you can use the appropriate equations and formulas to calculate the SIF values for your specific case.

3. What is the purpose of calculating SIF in Fracture Mechanics Analysis?

The calculation of SIF in Fracture Mechanics Analysis is used to determine the stress level at which a crack in a structure will propagate and cause failure. It is an important factor in assessing the safety and reliability of a structure, as well as in designing and optimizing structures to prevent failure.

4. Are there any limitations to using ANSYS and Excel to calculate SIF for Fracture Mechanics Analysis?

While ANSYS and Excel can be powerful tools for calculating SIF values for Fracture Mechanics Analysis, they do have some limitations. ANSYS may be limited in its ability to accurately model complex geometries or material behaviors. Excel may also be limited in its ability to handle large datasets or perform advanced calculations. It is important to carefully check and validate the results obtained from these tools.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my SIF calculations in ANSYS and Excel for Fracture Mechanics Analysis?

To ensure the accuracy of your SIF calculations, it is important to carefully set up and validate your finite element model in ANSYS. This may involve checking for mesh convergence, verifying boundary conditions and loads, and comparing results with analytical or experimental data. In Excel, it is important to use the correct equations and formulas, and to double-check the inputs and outputs for errors. It is also recommended to compare results obtained from different software or methods to ensure consistency and accuracy.