Antiderivative and Indefinite Integration

In summary, for the integral ∫(x3 - 3x2 + x + 1)/√x dx, you would first rewrite the integrand as ∫x3/√x - 3∫x2/√x + ∫x/√x + ∫1/√x dx. Then, using the power rule for integration, you would get ∫x3/√x = ∫x5/2, ∫x2/√x = ∫x3/2, ∫x/√x = ∫x1/2, and ∫1/√x dx = ∫x-1/2
domyy

Homework Statement

∫(x3 - 3x2 + x + 1)/√x dx

The Attempt at a Solution

∫x3-1/2 - 3∫x2-1/2 + ∫x1-1/2 + ∫x1-1/2

∫x5/2 - 3∫x3/2 + ∫x1/2 + ∫1/2

(x7/2)7/2 - (3x5/2)5/2 + (x3/2)3/2 + (x3/2)3/2 + C

(2x7/2)/7 - (6x5/2)/5 + 2x3/2)/3 + (2x3/2)/3 + C

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, the last integral you wrote, should be [tex]∫{\frac{1}{√x}}[/tex]
Second, When integrating, you divide by the new power, you are multiplying, so you should 2/7, 2/5.. etc..

Edit: I am not sure what you did on the line just after integrating, but the line after it is mostly right, except for that last part.

I don't know if I understand it.

If I have:

∫x3/√x dx

= ∫x3 - 1/2
= ∫x5/2
= (x5/2 + 1)/ 5/2 +1
= (x7/2)/7/2 + C

Simplyfying:

2x7/2/7 + C

Is this correct?

If not, what am I doing wrong?

Also, I am not sure how to proceed with ∫1/√x dx

If I have ∫1 dx:

= 1 + C

So for ∫1/√x dx I'll have:

=x/√x
=x . x- 1/2
=x1/2
=(x1/2+ 1)/1/2 +1 + C

The first part was right. for ∫1/√x dx. rewrite it as ∫x-1/2dx

EDIT: Nowhere in the equation would you have ∫1dx, but if you did. it would be x+c, not 1+c.

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is the inverse operation of a derivative. It is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function. It is also known as the indefinite integral.

2. What is indefinite integration?

Indefinite integration is the process of finding an antiderivative of a given function. It involves finding a function whose derivative is equal to the given function.

3. How do you find the antiderivative of a function?

To find the antiderivative of a function, you can use the rules of integration, which include the power rule, the constant multiple rule, and the sum and difference rule. You can also use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution.

4. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

The main difference between definite and indefinite integration is that indefinite integration results in a function, while definite integration results in a single numerical value. Indefinite integration also has a constant of integration, while definite integration has upper and lower limits of integration.

5. What is the importance of antiderivatives and indefinite integration in science?

Antiderivatives and indefinite integration are important in science because they allow us to find the original function from its derivative, which is useful in many real-world applications such as physics, engineering, and economics. They also help us solve problems involving rates of change and accumulation, which are common in scientific studies.