Antiparticles of Standard Model gauge bosons

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
32 replies · 7K views
Might I open a slightly different manner of query that might have some resolution?

It could very well be that this idea is not very good. If so, I would like to know why, in the language that even a non-particle physicist would understand.

We could represent a standard model particle ##P## as ##P=a X_1 + b X_2 + c X_3## having ##SU(3)## symmetry, requiring that ##a^2+b^2+c^2=1##, 'cause there is just one particle.

Generally, for ##P## having ##SU(n)## symmetry then there are ##n## terms, right?

Given that all this is not too stupid, what is the action of the operator ##CPT## on ##P## ? I have no idea how to apply the action of ##C##, ##P##, and then ##T ## is applied.

Say ## \bar{P} = CPT(P)##. I assume that if ##\bar{P} = P##, then ##P## is it's own antiparticle and for all standard model particles, ##(CPT)^2 P = P##.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
stedwards said:
Say P¯=CPT(P) \bar{P} = CPT(P). I assume that if P¯=P\bar{P} = P, then PP is it's own antiparticle and for all standard model particles, (CPT)2P=P(CPT)^2 P = P.

You don't need the invariance under CPT to have particle=antiparticle... In fact any particle in the Standard Model should be invariant under CPT.
For the particle= antiparticle you have the action of C alone.
 
ChrisVer said:
You don't need the invariance under CPT to have particle=antiparticle... In fact any particle in the Standard Model should be invariant under CPT.
For the particle= antiparticle you have the action of C alone.

Say, for example, ##\frac{i}{\sqrt{3}}R + \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}G - \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}B##, how would you apply charge conjugation?