Any compilation of all classical physics concepts?

In summary, the speaker feels that their understanding of classical physics concepts is scattered and they struggle to make connections between them. They wonder if their lack of understanding of calculus may be hindering their ability to link concepts. They also mention the importance of understanding the derivation of formulas in order to have a deeper knowledge of the subject. They suggest checking out MIT's open course ware on physics, where the professor Walter Lewin uses calculus and algebra to derive formulas and explain concepts.
tahayassen
I understand many classical physics concepts but I feel like my understanding of the concepts are all scattered. I can't seem to make links between concepts. For example: I understand momentum, forces and energy, but I have trouble making any links between the ideas (other than the link that work is just force times a distance). It doesn't help that the concepts are always taught separately and the problems usually only involve a maximum of 2 concepts at a time.

Is there any resource or video like the one below but for classical physics?

Maybe it has to do with my understanding of physics? My current understanding is that classical physics uses not very much calculus, but according to wikipedia:

Physics makes particular use of calculus; all concepts in classical mechanics and electromagnetism are interrelated through calculus. The mass of an object of known density, the moment of inertia of objects, as well as the total energy of an object within a conservative field can be found by the use of calculus.

So maybe I can link concepts with calculus?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how these formula's were derived?
Knowing just a formula vs. KNOWING a formula (how it was derived, its consequences ect..) will lead to a much deeper knowledge. (you probably know this)

Example: What is momentum? - It is the product of the mass of a body and its velocity.
How does it relate to force?
Well, let's day a force (F) pushes on a body for a time (t), the momentum of the body will be changed by a certain amount (due to how long its pushed on).
So we say: Δp=FΔt,
then we look at this from calculus differentiate it: F=dp/dt! but then one says, ohh...the change in p depends on a certain time! so, let's factor in t1 and t2
So then we can say: Δp= from t1 to t2 [itex]\int[/itex] F(t)dt !
Then you can see from this, we get: F=m(dv/dt) and since we know (dv/dt)=acceleration,
then you can say: F=ma, and you have derived Newtons second law

MIT has open course ware on physics I and II and they are a wealth of information. Walter Lewin derives many formulas with calculus and algebra. You can find the video's for free on youtube.

Last edited:
Video 1 of many:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is classical physics?

Classical physics is a branch of physics that studies the motion and behavior of macroscopic objects, such as everyday objects we encounter in our daily lives. It primarily deals with the laws of mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

2. What are some key concepts in classical physics?

Some key concepts in classical physics include Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, thermodynamic laws, and Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism.

3. How does classical physics differ from modern physics?

Classical physics is based on Newtonian mechanics and does not take into account the principles of relativity and quantum mechanics, which are fundamental to modern physics. Classical physics is applicable to macroscopic objects, while modern physics deals with subatomic particles and high energy phenomena.

4. What are some real-world applications of classical physics?

Classical physics has numerous real-world applications, including engineering, architecture, and technology. It is used in designing bridges, buildings, and machines, and plays a crucial role in the development of modern transportation.

5. How has classical physics contributed to our understanding of the world?

Classical physics has provided us with a framework for understanding the behavior of objects and systems in our everyday world. It has allowed us to make accurate predictions and calculations, leading to the development of many technologies that we rely on today.