Any good book that can teach System Dynamics? (details inside)

In summary, the person is looking for a book to learn system dynamics as it is a crucial foundation for their upcoming courses. They passed the course with a low grade and are looking for additional resources to better understand the material. They are hesitant to share the professor's material online but are willing to provide clarification on types of questions. They have previously learned systems theory but have forgotten a lot and suggest searching the library for books by their professor or authors such as Katsuhiko Ogata and Chi-Tsong Chen.
mohdhm
Hey guys,

I need a book that can teach me system dynamics, here is what they teach in the course:

Linear time invariant system, impulse response function, operator, convolution, system characterization, solution of linear ordinary differential equations, Laplace transform and its applications, transfer function, frequency response, matrix diagonalization, solution to system of linear differential equations.

I passed the course with 54% and next year a lot of other courses are going to build on it. So unless i want to fail around 4 courses i must try and better understand the material. The problem last term was that a lot of the material came directly from his notes so there was nothing else to learn from.

I'd give you examples of old midterms but i really feel uncomfortable posting the prof's material online like this. But if you need clarification on what types of questions, please send me a PM and i will supply you with the proper info.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks emiltr, the books seem pretty good. though the second link seems pretty scary. It is more like a proofy high level math course rather than an engineering course with applications. I've looked through the table of contents and there is nothing that strikes me as familiar . Let's see.. we covered initial value problems, first and second order differential equations. Laplace transforms, inverse laplace transofrms. linear time invariant systems. step response of the system... and we were given lots of mechanical systems to solve invloving springs, circuits... etc. As long as those are in there than that's very good! Also, the difficulity was based on a 2nd year course.

Those two books are probably way too advance for typical 2nd year engineering students. Maybe you should try those written by Katsuhiko Ogata. Another really good one is Linear System Theory and Design by Chi-Tsong Chen, but it is mainly focused on the state space approach.

1. What is System Dynamics?

System Dynamics is an interdisciplinary approach to understanding and managing complex systems. It combines theories and methods from engineering, mathematics, and social sciences to study the behavior of systems over time.

2. Why is System Dynamics important?

System Dynamics helps us understand the underlying causes of complex problems and identify potential solutions. It also allows us to simulate and test different scenarios to see how a system may respond to changes in policies or variables.

3. What are some good books for learning System Dynamics?

Some popular books for learning System Dynamics include "Thinking in Systems" by Donella Meadows, "Introduction to System Dynamics Modeling with Dynamo" by William Braun, and "System Dynamics: An Introduction" by Derek Robinson.

4. How can I apply System Dynamics in my field of study?

System Dynamics can be applied in a wide range of fields, including business, economics, public policy, healthcare, and environmental science. It can help you analyze and improve complex systems in your specific area of study.

5. Is prior knowledge of mathematics or programming necessary to learn System Dynamics?

While having a basic understanding of mathematics and programming can be helpful, it is not necessary to learn System Dynamics. Many introductory books and courses on System Dynamics are designed for beginners and do not require advanced mathematical or programming skills.