Any good Thermodynamics resources?

In summary, the speaker is struggling to understand the material in their Thermo class and is looking for suggestions on concise and basic study materials. They mention that their current textbook is difficult to understand and their professor is not very helpful. They are also considering forming a study group. Another person recommends using Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics by Moran & Shapiro as a better textbook and suggests forming a study group to work through the material together.
Taiden
Hey guys, I should have posted here near the beginning of the semester. I'm in a Thermo class in a Mechanical Engineering program. I'm having a horrible time understanding the material. It doesn't seem difficult, but for some reason it's just not clicking. The textbook is extremely obtuse and my professor is not very helpful either. In all my other classes, I was able to supplement with online study via Khan Academy, structurefree (youtube) or others.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions for materials that are concise and basic?

The textbook assigned is Fundamentals of Thermodynamics 7th Ed by Borgnakke

Thanks for any help
Luke

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you're looking for a better textbook, I would recommend Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics by Moran & Shapiro. I've found it to be a good book and great reference since I've graduated.

There's also no substitute for a study group, I would highly recommend you form one so you and a few classmates can work through the classwork together. I always did better in classes I had other study mates to share the misery with ;-)

1. What is the best textbook for learning Thermodynamics?

The best textbook for learning Thermodynamics is subjective and may vary depending on the individual's learning style and background knowledge. Some popular options include "Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Cengel and Boles, "Introduction to Thermodynamics" by Sonntag, and "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Moran.

2. Are there any online courses available for learning Thermodynamics?

Yes, there are several online courses available for learning Thermodynamics. Some popular platforms for online courses include Coursera, edX, and Khan Academy. Additionally, many universities offer online courses as part of their distance learning programs.

3. What are some good resources for practicing Thermodynamics problems?

There are many resources available for practicing Thermodynamics problems, such as textbooks, online quizzes and practice tests, and problem-solving websites like Chegg and Slader. Additionally, many universities provide past exam papers and practice problems on their websites.

4. Is there a difference between classical and statistical Thermodynamics?

Yes, there is a difference between classical and statistical Thermodynamics. Classical Thermodynamics deals with macroscopic systems and is based on empirical laws and experimental observations. On the other hand, statistical Thermodynamics deals with the behavior of individual particles and is based on statistical mechanics and probability theory.

5. Can you recommend any Thermodynamics resources for beginners?

Some recommended Thermodynamics resources for beginners include "Thermodynamics for Dummies" by Mike Pauken, "Thermodynamics Made Simple" by Daniel M. Vangarde, and "A Student's Guide to Thermodynamics" by John Lienhard.