Comprehensive beginner maths and physics textbooks?

In summary, comprehensive beginner maths and physics textbooks are essential resources for students looking to build a strong foundation in these subjects. They cover all the fundamental concepts and principles in a clear and organized manner, providing step-by-step explanations and examples to help students understand and apply the material. These textbooks also often include practice problems and exercises to reinforce learning and allow students to test their understanding. With comprehensive beginner maths and physics textbooks, students can gain a solid understanding of these challenging subjects and set themselves up for success in more advanced courses.
Tim1993
Hey guys,

So I've recently decided that I will apply to study a Bachelor of Science in 2016, and to spend this year acquiring the prerequisites that I missed when I was in high school. I've been learning maths on Khan Academy, and have just applied to an introductory maths course. After this, I need a senior maths course and a physics course. These are all online, and I have the option to complete them in a quicker time than is given (12 months max.).
Does anyone have a good recommendation for maths and physics textbooks that could be used to speed along this learning? Khan Academy is great, but I'm looking for as many resources as possible. I'm so excited to study physics, and I would love to be able to apply for semester 1, 2016. What books, if any, helped you the most when you were a beginner?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest you to use basic high school physics and then go over to advanced ones the order that I would suggest for you would be:
1. Prentice Hall Conceptual Physics
2. NCERT Science Textbooks (Class 6,7,8,9,10)
3. NCERT Physics Textbooks (Class 11,12)

If you are in need of a deep study of the topics, then choose:
1. Understanding Physics for IIT JEE Main and Advanced By DC Pandey {5 Volumes: (a) Mechanics Vol 1 (b) Mechanics Vol 2 (c) Waves and Thermodynamics (d) Electricity and Magnetism (e) Optics and Modern Physics}
2. Halliday Resnik and Walker Fundamentals of Physics

Thanks!

You don't necessarily need to have any high school physics. Many physics majors don't get their first exposure to the subject until college. The most important thing is to be prepared mathematically. One needs to have knowledge up to and including college algebra and trigonometry to be prepared to start calculus as soon as possible.

QuantumCurt said:
Many physics majors don't get their first exposure to the subject until college.

That's true in the US, but maybe not in other countries. I suspect Tim1993 isn't in the US, because we don't say "maths."

Yep, Australia over here. I will need physics to apply, but I am still building my maths foundation, so it may take some time.

Tim1993 said:
Yep, Australia over here. I will need physics to apply, but I am still building my maths foundation, so it may take some time.
I would like to give you a link. Remember about those NCERT textbooks I said. They provide free ebooks to :
Please follow this link:
http://www.ncert.nic.in/ncerts/textbook/textbook.htm
Select class (or Grade in Australia from 6-12 recommended), select subject (6-10:Science, 11&12 : Physics) select book title(6-10: Science, 11&12:Physics Part I or Part II) For trying out more problems to test yourself You can use previous year question papers available online or the book NCERT Exemplar Problems which also is available online in the same website
hope the information was useful. If you want more book names or need help in finding the physics chapters in the science books (6-10) please do not hesitate to contact me

jtbell said:
That's true in the US, but maybe not in other countries. I suspect Tim1993 isn't in the US, because we don't say "maths."

Ah, I didn't catch that. That being the case, disregard most of my post.

In either case, the most important thing at least at first is to get a solid foundation in basic math. Without having a good working knowledge of algebra and basic trigonometry, even introductory physics will be much more challenging.

Hi Tim,
A lot depends on your actual area of interest in Physics. What are you fond of ? Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Electrodynamics, Optics, Quantum Mechanics ? Your future career choice depends on the decision that you are about to make.

Tim1993 said:

The UK Maths "A-Level" syllabus is comprehensively covered here:

http://www.examsolutions.net/

1. What topics are typically covered in comprehensive beginner maths and physics textbooks?

Comprehensive beginner maths and physics textbooks typically cover topics such as algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and optics.

2. Are these textbooks suitable for self-study?

Yes, these textbooks are designed to be suitable for self-study. They usually include step-by-step explanations, examples, and practice problems to help students understand and apply the concepts on their own.

3. Can these textbooks be used for both maths and physics courses?

Yes, these textbooks are designed to cover both maths and physics concepts. They are often used as primary textbooks for introductory courses in mathematics and physics.

4. Are there any recommended prerequisites for using these textbooks?

It is recommended to have a basic understanding of algebra and geometry before using these textbooks. Some textbooks may also require knowledge of trigonometry and calculus for more advanced topics.

5. Are there any online resources or study aids that accompany these textbooks?

Many comprehensive beginner maths and physics textbooks come with online resources such as practice quizzes, interactive simulations, and video lectures to supplement the material covered in the textbook. Some textbooks may also have accompanying study guides or workbooks.