Any idea how to bake the column of a SEM?

In summary, an undergraduate researcher is facing difficulty finding information on how to bake out their university's SEM, which has been without power. The company estimates a cost of $17k to send someone out to do it. Another person suggests using heater tape, a metallic tape with a resistive wire inside, to wrap around the vacuum chamber and heat it up while pumping out volatile contaminants.
Old_Bob
I am an undergraduate researcher and my university had an SEM donated to us by DOW chemical. It since has been without power and we have to bake the column and the gun chamber. Contacting the company they estimate $17k to send someone out to do it for us. I'm having difficulty finding material online for how to do this. Does anyone know how?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In my past experience we baked out vacuum systems by wrapping them with heater tape. This is a metallic tape with a resistive wire inside that heats up when you pass current through it. If you google "heater tape" you will find several sources. You wrap the heater tape around the vacuum chamber and then pump on it while you heat it up to drive off volatile contaminants.

Likes Old_Bob
Thank you! I'll look into it

1. How do you prepare the sample for SEM analysis?

The sample needs to be properly cleaned and dried before being placed on the SEM stage. It is important to remove any dust or debris that could interfere with the imaging process.

2. What type of coating should be used for the sample?

A conductive coating, such as gold or carbon, should be used to prevent charging and improve image quality. The coating should be applied evenly and thinly to avoid distorting the sample's features.

3. What is the ideal voltage and current for SEM imaging?

The specific voltage and current settings may vary depending on the sample and instrument, but a typical range is 5-30 kV and 10-100 μA. Higher voltages can provide better resolution, but also increase the risk of damaging the sample.

4. How can I prevent sample drift during imaging?

Sample drift can be minimized by using a low vacuum mode, ensuring the sample is properly mounted and coated, and avoiding excessive movements or vibrations during imaging.

5. How do you interpret SEM images?

SEM images show the surface topography and composition of the sample at a high magnification. They can provide information on the size, shape, and distribution of particles or features on the sample surface. Advanced techniques, such as elemental mapping, can also reveal the chemical composition of the sample.