Any idea of the topics covered?

In summary: They are not coming into the class without a fair amount of mathematical facility. So, if you are not one of these students, your best bet is to prepare yourself as best you can.In summary, for physics study, you need to be proficient in basic mathematics at a level at which a mathematical explanation is enlightening. You don't need to be at the level of an MIT student, but you should be well prepared. You should also aim to start studying physics early.
kerol9904
Hi all. This is my first post, so I hope this is the correct place to post.

I have been studying maths at Kumon for the past years. I just want to see if I have covered the basic maths needed for studying physics (start with MIT 8.01 maybe?). When I browse through this forum, I have no idea if I have studied the subject. So, I would like someone to help me knowing the topics (i.e. Precalc, Calc.1, Calc.2 etc.) of each of the levels. (Not all. Just from level G maybe?)
Here's the link to the general description of the levels covered in Kumon Maths.
http://www.kumon.com/miscellaneous/kumon_math_levels.pdf

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not 100% sure what you are asking, but if you are asking whether G is enough to study 8.01, the answer is no. 8.01 expects pretty much that whole sheet. More importantly, it expects the student to be facile with mathematics at that level: the student needs to be good enough with the material that a mathematical explanation will be enlightening and not more confuising.

No. That's not what I mean. I meant that can I get a rough idea of what the levels are covering?
For example, level XX is covering Precalculus or level YY is covering Calculus. I would like to know the level's standard in terms of US(?) system.
Another thing I want to ask is that what is the minimum level to start 8.01? Certainly it's not all of the levels, right?

I certainly wasn't expecting G to be enough for 8.01.

It doesn't map cleanly onto the US system.

8.01 would require roughly Level N to start and roughly completion of Level O before finishing. 8.01 has 18.01 as a co-requisite, and 18.01 is a fairly fast-paced calculus class. But as I said, the real issue is that it assumes facility with the mathematics. Being able to eventually grind out a problem at Level O is not enough.

Vanadium 50 said:
But as I said, the real issue is that it assumes facility with the mathematics. Being able to eventually grind out a problem at Level O is not enough.

So, you mean that I have to fully master the maths so that I can apply it to the physics? If that's what you mean, then any tips that you can provide? I would really like to start with physics early since it's my passion.

Keep in mind that this is an MIT course. Students in intro physics at MIT are not like students in intro physics at most other universities. Most or all of them are probably very bright, very well prepared, and very strongly motivated.

Related to Any idea of the topics covered?

1. What is the purpose of studying different scientific topics?

Studying different scientific topics helps us gain a deeper understanding of the world around us and how it functions. It also allows us to make advancements in various fields and improve our daily lives.

2. What are some common topics covered in science?

Some common topics covered in science include biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy, geology, and environmental science. However, there are many more branches and subfields within these broad categories.

3. How do scientists choose which topics to research?

Scientists typically choose topics to research based on their interests, current societal needs, and potential for new discoveries or advancements. They may also consider funding opportunities and collaboration with other researchers.

4. Can I study multiple scientific topics at once?

Yes, it is possible to study multiple scientific topics at once. In fact, many scientific breakthroughs and advancements have been made by interdisciplinary teams that combine knowledge and expertise from different fields.

5. What are some resources for learning about different scientific topics?

There are many resources available for learning about different scientific topics, including textbooks, scientific journals, online courses, and educational websites. Visiting museums and attending lectures and conferences are also great ways to expand your knowledge on various scientific topics.