Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any one else watching CNN?

1. Aug 16, 2005 #1

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

As I reported in my Internet Security Alert, Zotob is now full blown and infecting massive amounts of Windows machines around the world. Make sure you update to the lastest patches offered by Microsoft.

What's funny is that while CNN was reporting this, their own computers where being infected. :rofl:

[edit] Here is the patch:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-039.mspx

Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 – Download the update

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 – Download the update

Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition – Download the update

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 – Download the update

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for Itanium-based Systems and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with SP1 for Itanium-based Systems – Download the update

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition – Download the update

[edit2] Symptoms include spontaneous rebooting. Meaning you'll probably have to format if you get the worm.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Beautiful, the week that I actually have no anti-virus protection (recently formatted), a massive virus goes on peeing on everyones computer. Beautiful.

4. Aug 16, 2005 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  5. Aug 16, 2005 #4
    Good thing the worm was not released on a wednesday :smile:

6. Aug 16, 2005 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

uh oh. I'm on 2000 at home and I was having trouble last night - but suspected a hardware problem. I would get three beeps out of the BIOS and then the machine would attempt to load Windows and almost immediately shut down. I finally got it booted up and rescued my data but I may be looking at a reformat.

I need to pay more attention to your posts, dd. I didn't see this coming.

7. Aug 16, 2005 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

MIH, I'll add you to my official PF Internet Security Alert System aka buddy list. :smile:

If anyone else is interested just ask me.

8. Aug 16, 2005 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Awesome -- thanks! :approve:

9. Aug 16, 2005 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, and yes. Usually I update regularly but had fallen behind.

10. Aug 16, 2005 #9
    it won't let me run the updates!!!!!!!!!!!!! it says I do not have access to the needed files????????

11. Aug 16, 2005 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Go to the updates page and get the new engine.

They just announced on ABC News that anyone affected should contact the FBI! Can that be right?

12. Aug 16, 2005 #11

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

What version of windows do you have?

13. Aug 16, 2005 #12
    2000 ME I went to the updates page a few weeks back and installed all the new service packs

14. Aug 16, 2005 #13

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

No, don't contact the FBI.

I was watching CNN right before Larry King Live and they had a security spokeswomen from microsoft talking about the worm. When asked directly how many people does she estimate are affected by the worm, all she says is that the worm is of low risk. But then later on in the conversation she changes her stance to moderate risk.

Can't microsoft get their story straight.

15. Aug 16, 2005 #14

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Yeah, well the patch was released last week (Aug 9), so your probably not safe.

16. Aug 16, 2005 #15
    great....{tries to stop panic attack} I'm going out now to buy a truck load of floppys.{deep breaths...in nose out mouth in nose out mouth}

17. Aug 16, 2005 #16

JamesU

Gold Member

some day...some day....

18. Aug 16, 2005 #17

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

There are really 3 remote exploits methods. The link above only patches what the current worm is attacking. This is just the first worm of many to come. That's why I recommend you get all the patches available on microsoft's update site.

19. Aug 21, 2005 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

update: turned out to be virus free, but I patched my machine right away. I think I have a loose video card that was giving me trouble.

anyway, thanks for your alerts dduardo.

20. Aug 21, 2005 #19
    looks like I got off easy. It didn't hit my company (or at least we patched before it did) and I didn't get hit on my home systems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?