Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any program to deteted web page update?

1. Mar 10, 2008 #1

zyh

HI, I want to monitor some web page to see if it hase updated or hase some news. every time , I should open the webpage in web explorer, time and time again, I feel boring. some websites suupport RSS, but others don't. So, is there any programs can do this checking?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2008 #2
    Its not hard to write one yourself. However I wouldn't recomend it as it increases server load. If the server can't support RSS, there isn't much you could do, but check it manually.

Some sites have designed webpages that allow for this sort of thing; which gives parsing friendly output and really condense content striped of html and more things mostly to reduce load of the server.

4. Mar 13, 2008 #3

zyh

Thank you! Four, I'd follow your advice, and check it manually.

5. Mar 30, 2008 #4
    Spread the word.You may be looking for this.A mozdev extension.Simply query for update scanner extension
    or
    http://updatescanner.mozdev.org/en/help.html
    to my best knowledge it is a clean ext.But you my check mozdev for vulnerable or nasty ext.

6. Mar 30, 2008 #5

zyh

Thanks hakan for your reply, but I think I have time to test it, because I'm now using IE, but the updatescanner is for firefox.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?