Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any republicans out there?

1. Jul 27, 2004 #1
    Ah yes, the democrats are becoming more liberal. so much so that now anyone that says all Republicans are wealthy upper class whites are making an inaccurate statement. Well, are u a Republican? Why? I bet its not cuz ur a money hungry business man. Lets show them.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2004 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm a Republican. I'm a reasonably well off upper-middle class engineer (single). I doubt I'll ever be in the top 1% of incomes, but I expect to be in the top 5% (currently, that's $150K for households) by age 35 (I'm 28) if I'm married and my wife works.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2004
  4. Jul 27, 2004 #3
    You don't qualify for the One Percent Club, there all democrats.

5. Jul 27, 2004 #4
    Like rupert murdoch and ken lay?

6. Jul 27, 2004 #5
    Dan, are you voting for Ralph Nader?

7. Jul 27, 2004 #6

kat

No, like Ted Turner,George Soros, Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs, Bing, Kaplan, Saban...Oh, yeah, Bernard Schwartz..of China Gate popularity..Armstrong of Comcast etc. etc. etc.

8. Jul 27, 2004 #7

kat

oh..and Heinz-kerry? yes? maybe?

9. Jul 27, 2004 #8
    No, Dan doesn't care for that decaffeinated commie he prefers the rich bold taste that only a 'Papa Joe' commie can give him.

10. Jul 27, 2004 #9

russ_watters

You forgot Clinton. he "outed" himself last night!

11. Jul 27, 2004 #10

kat

Oh yes, I forgot..his book made him a small fortune.

What is the top 1% now? 400k +, or less? more?

12. Jul 27, 2004 #11

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

My household is in the top 1%, but that has nothing to do with me. They're all democrats.

13. Jul 27, 2004 #12
    That's odd. You'd think that through self-interest, they'd be Republicans. I know I would if I had a ton of money. But if I didn't, I'd be a democrat.

Of course, if I resided in Quebec, I'd be Bloc Quebecois!.

14. Jul 27, 2004 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you really think Democrats have become more liberal? Compared to when? My perception is that they've been becoming more conservative. Actually, they are mostly just becoming more unified in their positions on the issues, not that they've completely succeeded in that yet. But that used to be the Democratic party's downfall, too many different people throwing their hat into the ring and all of them with completely different positions from one another...it divided up the non-Republican vote too much to have much of a chance of winning unless they really came up with a super-star to outshine all the other Democrats. Maybe it's because they are no longer representing just the poor people, they have their own wealth to worry about now, so Robin Hood policies just don't get the vote (take from the rich and give to the poor).

15. Jul 27, 2004 #14

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Does a hobbyhorse have a hickory dick? You bet I’m a Republican. I’m retired now so I’ll never hit that 150K mark, but I’ve come close. I’m of the old school, so my wife does only volunteer work, mostly raising scholarship funds.

No, democrats are not becoming more liberal. The Democratic Party, however, has slid off the left edge of the political chasm.

16. Jul 27, 2004 #15
    The Democratic Party was taken over by that party's left in the late 1960's/early 1970's. The Republican Party moved into the void that was previously occupied by the Democrats.

17. Jul 27, 2004 #16

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Yes indeed, President Nixon moved the Republican Party leftward much as President Clinton tried to move the Democratic Party to the right. Ignoring the scandal, liberals might find much to admire in Nixon.

18. Jul 27, 2004 #17

russ_watters

The same (opposite) can be said about the Republican party. Case in point, the torpedoing of Johhn McCain.
    Scandals? What do liberals care about scandals? :biggrin:

19. Jul 27, 2004 #18

GENIERE

Science Advisor

I'm not a real big fan of John McCain even though his views probably reflect mine more so than those of President Bush. I fault him for the campaign finance act that I believe to be unconstitutional and I find him somewhat self-serving. I like VP Cheney very much but President Bush would be a sure winner with JM on the ticket. I could easily vote for him in 2008.

20. Jul 27, 2004 #19
    Rich Demos do take the time to go back to the kitchen and talk to the help --- not for long, but they muster the effort to do it with real "I feel your pain" tone in their voices. After which, they remain rich and the help remains in their positions as "the help." And after their media reported rhetoric, after their cries of unfairness -- the rich Demos live the life of 'the rich' with homes on both coasts - and 'the help' remains 'the help' ---- except for that once-in-a-while condescending tone, I'd say it's all hypocrisy -

21. Jul 28, 2004 #20

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Well-said Tigers2B1. Liberals survive; indeed thrive, by maintaining and creating a biased citizenship.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?