1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any Standard Notation for Multiple Coordinate Systems?

1. Jul 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given variables in one coordinate system, give the notation used to refer to the variables in another system.

The known variable is [tex]x[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    The transformation is an arbitrary one. My question has to do with notation and not mathematical procedures. There, thus, are no relevant equations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    In another coordinate system [tex]x[/tex] could be denoted as [tex]x'[/tex]. I'm not sure if there is a standard way to denote other coordinate systems though. I could write

[tex]x'^{b}[/tex] and [tex]x'^{c}[/tex],

or [tex]x'^{2}[/tex] and [tex]x'^{3}[/tex],

or [tex]x''[/tex] and [tex]x'''[/tex],

but I don't know if this conflicts with any established conventions.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2007 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you asking about additional dimensions; or are you asking about different kinds of measurement units for these different coordinate systems?

Dimension is like length, length and a length at right angle to the first length; then another length at right angle to the first two kinds of length.

For the other description, do you know about polar and spherical coordinates?

Are those descriptions consistant with your intended question?

4. Jul 1, 2007 #3
    I am not asking about different dimensions. I am not asking about different kinds of measurement units either. My question mostly pertains to transformations from one frame of reference to another. I know about spherical and polar coordinates, but I don't know what you mean by "description."

5. Jul 1, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could certainly use a prime symbol to distinguish between the systems. Just don't confuse it with prime as in differentiation. Just look at statements of the chain rule for partial derivatives to familiarize yourself with conventions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?