Anybody here applied for conference travel grants ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining grants to cover the costs of a poster presentation at a neuroscience conference in Hong Kong. The sources mentioned include the department, research council, university, college, and general charities. It is suggested that giving a talk or poster may be a requirement to receive funding from the department, and that the conference itself may offer grants if it is well funded. The university is also recommended as a resource for information on general charities that award grants.
rogerharris
Got an ok to do a poster presentation at a neuroscience conference in Honk Kong. I am not sure whether my budget can stretch. I heard that grants are available which will cover half these costs.

Anybody know anything about these grants, if traveling from Britain ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Various sources to try (in order).
Your dept (I assume you a grad student?) normally giving a talk/poster is a requirement to get funding.
Your research council
Your university
College (oxbridge by any chance ?)

Then you can see if the conference has any grants - if it is being run by a well funded industry/international body it might have.

There are also a few general charities that award grants, your university should have a directory/someone that knows about them.

I can understand the excitement and hesitation that comes with receiving an opportunity to present at a conference in a different country. It is always important to consider the financial aspect of such travel, and I am glad to hear that you are looking into potential grants to help cover the costs.

I recommend checking with the conference organizers to see if they have any information on available grants specifically for attendees traveling from Britain. Additionally, you can also reach out to any professional organizations or societies in your field to inquire about grant opportunities for conference travel.

It is also worth mentioning that some universities and institutions have their own internal funding for conference travel, so it may be beneficial to check with your department or supervisor as well.

Overall, I encourage you to thoroughly research and apply for any grants that may be available to help alleviate the financial burden of attending the conference. It is a valuable opportunity to present your work and network with other scientists in your field. I wish you the best of luck with your presentation and hope you are able to secure the necessary funding for your trip.

1. What is a conference travel grant?

A conference travel grant is funding provided by an organization or institution to cover the expenses of attending a conference, such as registration fees, transportation, and accommodation.

2. Who is eligible to apply for a conference travel grant?

Eligibility for conference travel grants varies depending on the organization or institution offering the grant. Generally, students, researchers, and professionals in a relevant field of study are eligible to apply for conference travel grants.

3. How do I apply for a conference travel grant?

The application process for conference travel grants also varies, but it typically involves filling out an application form and providing supporting documents, such as a CV and a letter of recommendation. Some organizations may also require a research proposal or abstract for the conference.

4. What are the benefits of receiving a conference travel grant?

Aside from covering the costs of attending a conference, conference travel grants also provide networking opportunities with other professionals in your field, the chance to present your research or work, and the opportunity to learn about the latest developments in your field.

5. Are conference travel grants limited to certain types of conferences?

Conference travel grants may be limited to specific types of conferences, such as those related to a particular field of study or those held by a specific organization. It is important to carefully read the guidelines of the grant before applying to ensure your chosen conference is eligible.