Anyone can check whether my answer is correct regarding friction?

• Thread starter cracktheegg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary: In which case there is no answer that is always true, because it depends on the angle of the slope, (and the block mass and the coefficient of friction).
cracktheegg
1. The ratio of limiting friction to the normal reaction is known as
Answer

a)angle of friction.

b)angle of repose.

c)coefficient of static friction.

d)coefficient of kinetic friction.

Question 2

When a block is at rest on an inclined plane,
Answer

a)the friction force is equal to the static friction.

b)the friction force is equal to the kinetic friction.

c)the friction force is zero.

d)the friction force is less than the static friction.

Question 3

The coefficient of static friction is ______ the coefficient of kinetic friction.
Answer

a) less than

b)equal to

c) more than

d)dependent on

Homework Equations

Fs=urn

The Attempt at a Solution

1)c
2)a
3)c

Physics news on Phys.org
cracktheegg said:
1. The ratio of limiting friction to the normal reaction is known as
Answer

a)angle of friction.

b)angle of repose.

c)coefficient of static friction.

d)coefficient of kinetic friction.

Question 2

When a block is at rest on an inclined plane,
Answer

a)the friction force is equal to the static friction.

b)the friction force is equal to the kinetic friction.

c)the friction force is zero.

d)the friction force is less than the static friction.

Question 3

The coefficient of static friction is ______ the coefficient of kinetic friction.
Answer

a) less than

b)equal to

c) more than

d)dependent on

Homework Equations

Fs=urn

The Attempt at a Solution

1)c
2)a
3)c

Can you explain your answer to question #2?

I thinking the block at rest mean the slope is not high enough to make it move. Therefore I can only conclude that the static friction is equivalent to friction force

I don't like question 2 at all. "Static friction" is a concept; the quantifiable entity is the frictional force that results.
Allowing that here it is being used as shorthand for static friction force, I agree with the answer in the OP.
But I harbour suspicions that the problem setter intends "static friction" to mean the limiting static friction force.

I would say that your answers for questions 1 and 2 are correct. The coefficient of static friction is indeed the ratio of limiting friction to the normal reaction, and when a block is at rest on an inclined plane, the friction force is equal to the static friction. However, for question 3, I would say that the coefficient of static friction can be either less than, equal to, or more than the coefficient of kinetic friction. It depends on the materials and surfaces involved in the friction. It is not necessarily always one of these options. Therefore, I would suggest further research and experimentation to determine the coefficient of static friction in a specific situation.

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another surface.

2. How can I check if my answer regarding friction is correct?

One way to check the correctness of your answer is to compare it with the accepted scientific explanation of friction. You can also conduct experiments or research and consult with other experts in the field.

3. Are there different types of friction?

Yes, there are three main types of friction: static friction, kinetic friction, and rolling friction. Each type of friction occurs in different situations and has its own characteristics.

4. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can either help or hinder motion. In some cases, it can provide the necessary force to move an object, while in others it can slow down or stop the motion of an object.

5. Can friction be reduced or eliminated?

Friction cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be reduced through various methods such as lubrication, using smoother surfaces, or by changing the material of the surfaces in contact.