Math Major Struggles With Apostol's Calculus

• Thread starter bonfire09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the author recommends skipping the section on proofs by induction and starting from I 2.1 (Introduction to set theory).
bonfire09
Ive taken calculus 1-3 and differential equations and didnt think they were hard at all. I like math quite a bit so I decided to open Apostol's Single Variable Calculus Book and decided to attempt the problems. I was only able to do 30% of them and figured that Apostol's calculus is way too hard for me. I'm a math major and I know that I'll need to have done Apostols or spviak's books on Calculus for real analysis, but not being able to do Apostol's calculus is really frustrating me. Is there another way I can go? like maybe read an intro to proofs book and afterwards try doing apostols?

Physics news on Phys.org
The exercises in Apostol can be quite tricky and difficult. You certainly don't need to be able to solve all of them before taking real analysis.

Can you give us a reason why you can't solve those exercises?? Can you give us an example??

here is an example of a problem in the very first section. I've hardly encountered a proof by induction

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 275
bonfire09 said:
here is an example of a problem in the very first section. I've hardly encountered a proof by induction

I recommend skipping that section and starting from I 2.1 (Introduction to set theory). You can return to it after you finish the sections on induction (I 4.1 - I 4.10) or skip it entirely.

go right now and learn proofs by induction. do not pass go until you do, indeed you will not be able to pass go until you do. this is absolutely fundamental. i thought this was still taught in high school. here is a free set of notes on the topic.

Attachments

• 4000.01-05.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 209
i haven't had much exposure on proofs in a long time. Last time I had to do proofs were in geometry. I became good at it but after a while I forget about it.

Related to Math Major Struggles With Apostol's Calculus

What is Apostol's Calculus and why is it difficult for math majors?

Apostol's Calculus is a textbook used in advanced calculus courses for math majors. It is known for its rigorous and theoretical approach to calculus, which can be challenging for students who are used to more computational and applied methods of learning.

What are some common struggles that math majors face when studying Apostol's Calculus?

Some common struggles that math majors face when studying Apostol's Calculus include understanding the theoretical concepts, applying them to real-world problems, and memorizing the complex proofs and theorems.

How can math majors overcome these struggles and excel in Apostol's Calculus?

To excel in Apostol's Calculus, math majors can try to break down the material into smaller, manageable chunks, seek help from professors or tutors, practice regularly with challenging problems, and develop a deep understanding of the underlying principles.

Is it necessary for math majors to master Apostol's Calculus?

It depends on the specific goals and interests of the math major. For those interested in pursuing advanced mathematics or theoretical research, mastering Apostol's Calculus may be necessary. However, for those pursuing applied fields, a general understanding of the concepts may be sufficient.

Are there any resources available to help math majors struggling with Apostol's Calculus?

Yes, there are many resources available, such as online tutorials, study groups, and study guides, that can help math majors struggling with Apostol's Calculus. It is also beneficial to seek assistance from professors or teaching assistants and utilize textbook resources, such as practice problems and solutions manuals.