Apostol's Integration by substitution problem

I don't know how to thank you, I'll try to help as much as I can in the forum and if I can help you, it's a pleasure.I'm going to sleep also, thanks for everything once again. Have a good night.In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving definite integrals with a given hint and using the property of even functions. The solution involves making a substitution and using the fact that \frac{1}{1+x^2} is an even function. The solution is completed by recognizing that for even functions, the integral from -a to a is equivalent to the integral from 0 to a.
AndersCarlos

Homework Statement

a) Show that:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} xf(sin (x))dx = \frac{\pi}{2}\int_{0}^{\pi} f(sin (x))dx[/tex]
[Hint: u = π - x]
b) Use part a) to deduce the formula:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{xsin(x)}{1 + cos^2 (x)} dx = \pi\int_{0}^{1} \frac{dx}{1 + x^2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_{a}^{b} f(x)dx = \frac{1}{k}\int_{ka}^{kb} f(\frac{x}{k})[/tex]
for any constant 'k'.

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
Tried to imagine where I could apply the hint and used the property: -sin(x) = sin(π-x) in the process of substitution, but no progress.
b)
I used the only relevant equation to convert the interval [0,1] to [0, π] in the right side, considering k = π, however I was not able to progress much after this.

Physics news on Phys.org
AndersCarlos said:

Homework Statement

a) Show that:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} xf(sin (x))dx = \frac{\pi}{2}\int_{0}^{\pi} f(sin (x))dx[/tex]
[Hint: u = π - x]
b) Use part a) to deduce the formula:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{xsin(x)}{1 + cos^2 (x)} dx = \pi\int_{0}^{1} \frac{dx}{1 + x^2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_{a}^{b} f(x)dx = \frac{1}{k}\int_{ka}^{kb} f(\frac{x}{k})[/tex]
for any constant 'k'.

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
Tried to imagine where I could apply the hint and used the property: -sin(x) = sin(π-x) in the process of substitution, but no progress.
b)
I used the only relevant equation to convert the interval [0,1] to [0, π] in the right side, considering k = π, however I was not able to progress much after this.

For a), start by making the suggested substitution. The big hint is that a definite integral between the same upper and lower bounds would be exactly the same if the integrand is of the same form, *even* if the function is of another variable.

In other words, [itex]\int_a^b f(x)dx = \int_a^b f(y)dy[/itex].

Also remember that taking the negative of a definite integral is the same as reversing the bounds.

You don't actually have to do any integration here. You just end up with a simple equation that you can solve to show that result.

(never mind, I need to work some more on part b).

Curious3141:

After some seconds, I could get the right answer for part a, thank you very much.
About part b, well, I just double-checked both Spanish and English versions of Apostol. Both show the question as I've written.

AndersCarlos said:
Curious3141:

After some seconds, I could get the right answer for part a, thank you very much.
About part b, well, I just double-checked both Spanish and English versions of Apostol. Both show the question as I've written.

(Post edited - ignore this, I've found the solution. Please see below).

Last edited:
Sorry, the problem is correctly stated. It was my error (caused by a lapse in thinking, the result of doing this at 1:30 in the morning local time, haha).

Fairly simple, really. Set [itex]f(\sin x) = \frac{\sin x}{1 + \cos^2 x}[/itex].

Then use the result in part a). To evaluate the integral [itex]\int_0^{\pi}f(\sin x)dx[/itex], first break up the integral into two integrals, the first bounded from 0 to pi/2, the second from pi/2 to pi. Then make the substitution [itex]u = \cos x[/itex] into each integral. Be careful with the bounds and remember that taking the negative reverses the bounds. Don't forget to multiply by pi/2 at the end (as per the result from part a). Everything should fall into place.

My mistake was that, for some reason (brain failure at half past one AM), I kept harping on the wrong substitution (for sine). It's trivial once you realize it has to be a cosine substitution.

I hope you don't mind me adding posts rather than editing my previous one, because I can't be sure you've already read the last post.

I wanted to add that another critical step is to recognise that [itex]\frac{1}{1+u^2}[/itex] is an even function.

For an even function f(x), [itex]\int_{-b}^{-a} f(x)dx = \int_a^b f(x)dx[/itex].

Can you see why? Can you apply it here?

I was just finishing the proof that 1/(1+x^2) is even. I got the following result:
[tex]\frac{\pi}{2}(\int_{0}^{1} \frac{du}{1+u^2} + \int_{0}^{-1} \frac{du}{1+u^2})[/tex]
Then I used the property of even functions so this would become:
[tex]\frac{\pi}{2}(2\int_{0}^{1} \frac{du}{1+u^2})[/tex]
Then, according to that property: ∫f(x)dx = ∫f(y)dy, I just changed it to x, which completes the proof. Thank you very much again for your help. This problem has been bothering me for days.

EDIT: noticed an error. Your second integral should go from lower bound of -1 to upper bound of zero. That's equivalent from going from a lower bound of 0 to an upper bound of 1 for an even function.

Quick proof. Consider an even function f(x). f(x) = f(-x). Make the substitution x = -y.

Then [itex]\int_a^b f(x)dx = \int_{-a}^{-b} f(-y)(-dy) = -\int_{-a}^{-b} f(-y)dy = \int_{-b}^{-a} f(-y)dy = \int_{-b}^{-a} f(y)dy = \int_{-b}^{-a} f(x)dx[/itex].

Last edited:
Curious3141:
Just a little question (A edit would be better, but I don't know if you would see it). If I have another problem, should I create a new thread or can I post it in this one?

AndersCarlos said:
Curious3141:
Just a little question (A edit would be better, but I don't know if you would see it). If I have another problem, should I create a new thread or can I post it in this one?

There's a small error in your proof. Please see my post above.

I suggest you create a new thread for a new problem. But I'm afraid I have to turn in now, it's past 2am. If I'm able to, I can help you tomorrow after work (unless someone has beaten me to it). Good luck.

Curious3141:

Ah, I just saw what went wrong. When I was solving it and went to the next line, I forgot to write the minus sign inside the integral, that's why I got the wrong intervals. Thank you again.

What is Apostol's Integration by substitution problem?

Apostol's Integration by substitution problem is a mathematical technique used to simplify and solve integrals. It involves replacing the original variables with a new set of variables that make the integral easier to evaluate.

How is Apostol's Integration by substitution problem different from other integration techniques?

Apostol's Integration by substitution problem is different from other integration techniques, such as integration by parts or partial fractions, because it involves changing the variables in the integral rather than manipulating the integrand itself.

What is the general process for solving an integral using Apostol's Integration by substitution problem?

The general process for solving an integral using Apostol's Integration by substitution problem involves identifying the new variables to be used, substituting them into the integral, and then solving the resulting integral using standard integration techniques.

What are some common mistakes made when using Apostol's Integration by substitution problem?

Some common mistakes made when using Apostol's Integration by substitution problem include choosing incorrect substitution variables, not properly simplifying the integral after substitution, and forgetting to include the integral of the substitution variables.

What are some applications of Apostol's Integration by substitution problem?

Apostol's Integration by substitution problem has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve solving complex integrals. It is also used in the study of differential equations and other areas of mathematics.