1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apparent Flux and number of stars

1. Jul 15, 2016 #1
    The stars in our Galaxy have luminosities ranging from $L_{\text{min}}$ to $L_{\text{max}}$. Suppose that the number of stars per unit volume with luminosities in the range of $L$, $L+dL$ is $n(L)dL$. The total number of stars per unit volume if clearly $$n = \int_{L_{min}}^{L_{max}} n(L)dL.$$ Show that the total number of stars with apparent flux $f \geq f_0$ is $$N(f \geq f_0) = \frac{A}{f_0^{3/2}}$$ and find $A$ in terms of $n(L)$.

We have that the flux $f$, is given by $$f = \frac{L}{4 \pi r^2}.$$ Therefore, take $L_{min} = 4\pi r^2 f_0$ and $L_{max} = 4\pi r^2 f$. We thus have that $$N = \int_{4\pi r^2 f_0}^{4 \pi r^2 f} n(L) dL.$$ Is this on the right track?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2016 #2
    You are wrong in final equation.
    \begin{equation}
    N=n.A.l
    \end{equation}
    You know
    \begin{equation}
    n = \int_{L_{min}}^{L_{max}} n(L)dL.
    \end{equation}
    If we put this to first equation we get
    \begin{equation}
    N = \int_{L_{min}}^{L_{max}} n(L)A.LdL.
    \end{equation}

Other equations are true, i think

4. Jul 16, 2016 #3
    Where did you determine that first equation from?

Also, do we therefore conclude that $$A = \frac{N}{\int_{L_{min}}^{L_{max}} L \cdot n(L) dL}?$$

5. Jul 17, 2016 #4
    In my equations A is area. In my equation
    \begin{equation}
    A=4.\pi.r^2=S
    \end{equation}
    I should have S for this for doesn't mixing the question provided and asked constant.
    And also i had mistake in the above post
    \begin{equation}
    N=n.V
    \end{equation}
    where is V volume, n tota number of star per unit volume.
    And you have to express n(L) depends on variables we know. But i didn't found these method i think in this problem there aren't enough knowledge to get this. This question from a textbook? If yes you may look up the issues maybe n(L) defined by in the textbook.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted