Apparent visual magnitude/brightness problem

• Thread starter toph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Visual
In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to calculate the brightness of a distant star using only its distance and apparent magnitude. They discuss using the equation for magnitude, but are unsure how to rearrange it to find the brightness. They also ask if there is another method to solve the problem. Ultimately, the person realizes their mistake and no longer needs assistance.
toph
Hi

I am working on a problem that requires me to calculate the brightness of a distant star. The problem i have is that the only information i have on the star is its distance and its apparent magnitude.

I think that i can solve this problem with the equation for magnitude i.e
m = -2.5 log(b/b0)

Where b = brightness of star and b0 = brightness of reference star with magnitude zero.

What i am struggling with is how to rearrange this equation to find the brightness of the distant star.
a) Can this equation be reaaranged to find the brightness required.
b) Is there another method that can help me find the required brightness with the limited information i have.
thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for looking but i think i have solved this problem!

I had spent several hours looking at this problem and then decided to ask for your advise.
But as is often the case when you walk away from the problem and think of something else you often realize where you were going wrong.

Thanks anyway.

Hello,

I can understand your struggle with this apparent visual magnitude/brightness problem. The equation you have mentioned is correct and can be rearranged to find the brightness of the distant star. In order to do so, you will need to first isolate the brightness variable on one side of the equation by dividing both sides by -2.5 and then taking the inverse logarithm of both sides. This will give you the brightness value of the distant star.

However, there are other methods that can also help you find the required brightness with the limited information you have. One method is to use the distance modulus equation, which relates the distance of a star to its apparent and absolute magnitudes. This can be used to find the absolute magnitude of the star, which can then be used to calculate its brightness.

Another method is to use the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram, which plots the luminosity of stars against their surface temperature. By knowing the distance and apparent magnitude of the star, you can estimate its luminosity and then use the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram to find its brightness.

I hope this helps you with your problem. Best of luck in your calculations!

1. What is apparent visual magnitude?

Apparent visual magnitude refers to the measure of an object's brightness as seen from Earth. It is based on the visual perception of an object's brightness by the human eye.

2. How is apparent visual magnitude measured?

Apparent visual magnitude is measured on a logarithmic scale, with lower values indicating brighter objects and higher values indicating dimmer objects. The scale is based on the magnitude system developed by the ancient Greek astronomer Hipparchus.

3. What is the apparent visual magnitude/brightness problem?

The apparent visual magnitude/brightness problem occurs when the brightness of an object appears to vary over time, but it is actually due to changes in the Earth's atmosphere, such as changes in air temperature, humidity, and turbulence. This can make it difficult for astronomers to accurately measure an object's true brightness.

4. How do scientists address the apparent visual magnitude/brightness problem?

Scientists use various techniques to account for the effects of the Earth's atmosphere when measuring apparent visual magnitude. This includes using specialized instruments and techniques, such as adaptive optics and interferometry, to minimize the impact of atmospheric conditions on measurements.

5. Why is apparent visual magnitude important in astronomy?

Apparent visual magnitude is important in astronomy because it is one of the primary ways in which astronomers measure and compare the brightness of celestial objects. It is also used to classify stars and other objects based on their brightness, and can provide valuable information about an object's distance, size, and composition.