1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apparent visual magnitude/brightness problem

1. Aug 1, 2006 #1

I am working on a problem that requires me to calculate the brightness of a distant star. The problem i have is that the only information i have on the star is its distance and its apparent magnitude.

I think that i can solve this problem with the equation for magnitude i.e
    m = -2.5 log(b/b0)

Where b = brightness of star and b0 = brightness of reference star with magnitude zero.

What i am struggling with is how to rearrange this equation to find the brightness of the distant star.
    a) Can this equation be reaaranged to find the brightness required.
    b) Is there another method that can help me find the required brightness with the limited information i have.
    thanks for your help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2006 #2
    Thanks for looking but i think i have solved this problem!

I had spent several hours looking at this problem and then decided to ask for your advise.
    But as is often the case when you walk away from the problem and think of something else you often realise where you were going wrong.

Thanks anyway.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?