Application asking for five references - I don't have that many

In summary, the applicant is considering applying for a tenure-track faculty appointment at the assistant professor level, but is worried about the number of required references. The applicant has never seen a request for five references. The applicant is a graduate student and did not work as a TA or teach courses as a postdoc. The applicant's grad school was a large R1 university and the applicant did a fair bit of TA but does not currently have any teaching opportunities. The applicant expects to be research-intensive and is worried about the credibility of references. The applicant does not have any coworkers. The search chair would be unhappy if the applicant did not follow the application instructions and the applicant could try calling the secretary.
uby
I am considering applying for a tenure-track faculty appointment at the assistant professor level. The call for applications requests contact information for five references.

In the past eight or so years, I have had two bosses (my PhD advisor and postdoc mentor) who will surely provide stellar recommendations. Beyond that, I haven't worked with many people who would know about my research or who have worked with me in a professional capacity.

I can likely come up with two people whom I have worked with as additional points of contact (the lab supervisor from my grad group and a fellow postdoc at my current place of work), though their recommendations would not carry much weight. Furthermore, I cannot come up with a fifth reference aside from begging a former committee member whom I haven't had contact with for 2+ years and who likely won't remember me let alone details of my research.

What would you do in this situation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have never seen a request for five references. In my experience, three seems to be the most common, with four requested on occasion.

As a grad student, did you work as a TA? As a postdoc, did you teach any courses?

I have seen requests for five references for senior-level appointments, but seldom for entry-level.

My grad school was a large R1 university with one of the largest departments in the US. I did a fair bit of TA, but without lecture experience. Similarly, since my postdoc is with a federal agency rather than an academic institution, I do not currently have any teaching opportunities. This position would be expected to be research-intensive, and I expect that recommendations that can verify promise for soliciting external funding would be of higher value than those speaking towards my ability to teach.

Does your supervisor have any colleagues at your place of employment?

V 50 -- I'm actually the only person trained in my specialty at my current place of employment. And, after a few rounds of layoffs, there's surprisingly few left even in my scientific discipline. The department to which I wish to apply is heavily focused in my specialty and my postdoc mentor is good friends with the search chair. Regardless, I worry that an application with less than the requested number of references could be rejected without further review.

Why not call them ask ask for clarifications regarding the number of required references?

Aero51 - I've considered this, but I just can't think of any reasonable way to save face in this conversation. I can't imagine the search chair would be pleased to field a call regarding whether it would be acceptible if I do not follow the application instructions.

You could try calling the secretary, I bet you're not the only one who's had that question. If you don't have all 5 from employers, why not use the remaining on coworkers who can vouch for your credibility. If you have no coworkers, then you have a very lonely job!

FAQ: Application asking for five references - I don't have that many

1. Can I still apply if I don't have five references?

Yes, you can still apply for the application even if you don't have five references. Some companies or institutions may require a certain number of references, but it is not a strict requirement for all applications.

2. How many references should I have for my application?

The number of references required for an application can vary depending on the company or institution. It is best to check the application instructions or contact the organization directly to confirm the number of references they require.

3. What if I only have a few references?

Having a few strong references is better than having many weak references. If you only have a few references, make sure they are individuals who can speak highly of your skills and qualifications.

4. Can I use personal references instead of professional references?

It is generally recommended to use professional references for job or school applications. However, if you do not have enough professional references, you can use personal references as long as they can speak to your character and work ethic.

5. Can I ask for a reference from previous employers or professors?

Yes, it is appropriate to ask for a reference from previous employers or professors who can attest to your skills and qualifications. Just make sure to ask for their permission before listing them as a reference and provide them with the necessary information about the application.