Application of orthogonality condition

In summary, the student is trying to solve a transient radial heat equation. They have reached a step where they need to find c_m. They are having difficulty finding an appropriate integral formula because the functions involved are not linearly independent. However, they believe that the definition of ##Y_\nu(x)## should be useful for their computation.
itisali

Homework Statement

I have applied separation of variables to a transient radial heat equation problem.

T is a function of r and t.

I have reached the following step:

Homework Equations

[itex]

T_2(t,r) = \sum_{m=1}^ \infty c_m e^{-\alpha_2\lambda_m^2t}\left(\dfrac{-Y_0(\lambda_mb)J_0(\lambda_m r)}{J_0(\lambda_mb)}+Y_0(\lambda_mr)\right)

[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find [itex]c_m[/itex] which is usually found using orthogonality condition. This is done by multiplying both sides with [itex]rJ_0(λ_nr)[/itex] and integrating both sides with respect to r. But here in above equation I can't apply the orthogonality condition due to presence of [itex]Y_0(λ_mr)[/itex] on right side of equation.

How do I apply orthogonality condition in this case?

I just want to find out the coefficient [itex]c_m[/itex] and somehow get rid of the summation sign.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried using the definition of ##Y_0## as a limit of a linear combination of ##J_{\pm\alpha}##?

@fzero:

This doesn't work because if I put [itex]\alpha = 0[/itex] then result would become infinity.

02c38389b2a52132a588e3def4871872.png

itisali said:
@fzero:

This doesn't work because if I put [itex]\alpha = 0[/itex] then result would become infinity.

02c38389b2a52132a588e3def4871872.png

##Y_\alpha(x)## diverges at the origin, but the functions are finite elsewhere. The limit in the definition is an indeterminate form and care must be taken when computing it. However, this expression can be taken as a definition of ##Y_\alpha(x)## and should be useful for your computation.

You should perform the integration before taking the limit. The resulting limit should involve fairly simple functions.

fzero said:
##Y_\alpha(x)## diverges at the origin, but the functions are finite elsewhere. The limit in the definition is an indeterminate form and care must be taken when computing it. However, this expression can be taken as a definition of ##Y_\alpha(x)## and should be useful for your computation.

You should perform the integration before taking the limit. The resulting limit should involve fairly simple functions.

Before I integrate, I should have same index for J, i.e. [itex]\alpha[/itex] should be there in both J's. Only that way I can apply orthogonality condition.

Please help.

itisali said:
Before I integrate, I should have same index for J, i.e. [itex]\alpha[/itex] should be there in both J's. Only that way I can apply orthogonality condition.

Please help.

I see, I was hoping that there was an appropriate integral formula to use there. I haven't been able to find a directly useful formula from tables, but I think that the definition of ##Y_\nu(x)## should be a clue. The whole point of defining the Bessel function of the 2nd kind is that for integer order, ##J_{\pm \nu}## are not linearly independent. So ##Y_\nu## is defined to be linearly independent to the ##J_\nu## for integral ##\nu##. Since ##J_0## and ##Y_0## have no common zeros, I believe the integrals you end up with should vanish. I haven't been able to prove this though, sorry.

1. What is the orthogonality condition?

The orthogonality condition is a mathematical concept that states two vectors are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other if their dot product is equal to zero. This condition is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics to solve problems involving vectors.

2. How is the orthogonality condition applied in physics?

In physics, the orthogonality condition is used to determine the direction of forces acting on an object in a given system. By considering the dot product of the force vector and the displacement vector, one can determine the work done by the force and the angle between the two vectors.

3. What are some applications of the orthogonality condition in engineering?

The orthogonality condition has several applications in engineering, such as in the design of structures and machines. It is used to analyze the forces acting on different components of a system and ensure that they are in balance. It is also used in signal processing and image compression techniques.

4. How is the orthogonality condition used in statistics?

In statistics, the orthogonality condition is used to estimate parameters in regression analysis. It helps to determine the relationship between variables and identify the most significant variables in a given dataset. It is also used in principal component analysis to reduce the dimensionality of data.

5. Can the orthogonality condition be applied in other fields besides math and science?

Yes, the orthogonality condition has applications in various other fields such as economics, finance, and computer science. In economics, it is used to analyze supply and demand curves, while in finance, it is used in portfolio optimization. In computer science, it is used in image and audio processing algorithms.