Sturm-Liouville Orthogonality of Eigenfunctions

In summary, the three cases are: a_1=b_1=0, a_2\neq0, b_2\neq0, a_1\neq0, b_1\neq0a_21\neq0, a_2\neq0, b_1\neq0, b_2\neq0.
Amcote

Homework Statement

Consider the following Sturm-Liouville Problem:
[tex]\dfrac{d^2y(x)}{dx^2} + {\lambda}y(x)=0, \ (a{\geq}x{\leq}b)[/tex]
with boundary conditions
[tex]a_1y(a)+a_2y{\prime}(a)=0, \ b_1y(b)+b_2y{\prime}(b)=0[/tex]
and distinguish three cases:
[tex]a_1=b_1, a_2{\neq}0, b_2{\neq}0[/tex][tex]a_2=b_2=0, a_1{\neq}0, b_1{\neq}0[/tex][tex]a_21{\neq}0, a_2{\neq}0, b_1{\neq}0, b_2{\neq}0[/tex]

a) Without determining the actual eigenvalues and eigenfunctions, prove, in detail, the orthogonality of non-degenerate (i.e. having different eigenvalues) eigenfunctions in all three cases.

Homework Equations

Suppose we have a solution with eigen functions [tex]y_j,y_m[/tex] such that their eigen values are [tex]\lambda_j,\lambda_m, \lambda_m\neq{\lambda}_j[/tex]
Then they are orthogonal if:
[tex]\int_{a}^{b}dxy_j(x)y_m(x)=0, [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am okay with doing this integral and proving the orthogonality of the two eigen functions. But what i do not understand is what a1, a2, b1 and b2 are and how I implement the special cases.

Basically I solve the integral and I am left with

[tex][y_{j}p(x)y_m{\prime}(x)-y_m(x)p(x)y_j{\prime}(x)]^{b}_{a}-\int^{b}_{a}[y_{j}{\prime}(x)p(x)y_{m}{\prime}(x)-y_{m}{\prime}(x)p(x)y_{j}{\prime}(x)][/tex]
where clearly the second part is zero and the first part should be zero with boundary conditions. But like I said I have no idea what the a1, a2, b1, b2 mean.

Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Amcote said:
I have no idea what the a1, a2, b1, b2 mean.
They just serve to identify three alternative sets of boundary conditions, which will give different solutions to the DE. Taking it just one step further, the alternative sets of boundary conds are:

(1) ##
a_1y(a)+a_2y{\prime}(a)=0, \ a_1y(b)+b_2y{\prime}(b)=0;
##
(2) ##
a_1y{\prime}(a)=0, \ b_1y{\prime}(b)=0
##
(3) ##
a_1y(a)+a_2y{\prime}(a)=0, \ b_1y(b)+b_2y{\prime}(b)=0
##
and none of the ##a_k,b_k## coefficients may be zero except ##a_1##.

You said the first term in your result 'should be zero with boundary conditions'. Have you done the calcs to test that?

A couple things I want to add
General Sturm Liouville equation:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}p(x)\frac{dy}{dx}-s(x)y(x)+{\lambda}w(x)y(x)=0[/tex]
from my understanding, in our problem p(x) = 1 and s(x)=0 and w(x)=1.
and so the last bit of that integral for us is:
[tex][y_j(x)y{\prime}_m(x)-y_m(x)y{\prime}_j(x)]_a^b[/tex]

And the reason I know this should be zero is because that entire integral should be 0 due to orthogonality. The problem I am having is, I guess, testing this using those boundary conditions. I don't know if I'm just missing something stupid but the constants (a1, b1, a2, b2) are completely throwing me off with this question.

Also I made a mistake writing the first case and third case, this is how it should be:
[tex](1)a_1=b_1=0,a_2\neq0,b_2\neq0[/tex]
[tex](3)a_1\neq0,a_2\neq0,b_1\neq0,b_2\neq0[/tex]

Amcote said:
I don't know if I'm just missing something stupid but the constants (a1, b1, a2, b2) are completely throwing me off with this question.
You're probably overthinking it. For example, if ##a_1 = 0## and ##a_2\ne 0##, you have ##a_2 y'(a) = 0##. Since ##a_2 \ne 0##, you can divide by it, so ##y'(a) = 0##.

vela said:
You're probably overthinking it. For example, if ##a_1 = 0## and ##a_2\ne 0##, you have ##a_2 y'(a) = 0##. Since ##a_2 \ne 0##, you can divide by it, so ##y'(a) = 0##.
Yeah that's what I ended up doing. And for case 3 I rearranged the boundary conditions so that [tex]y=\frac{a_2}{a_1}y\prime[/tex] and similarly with the b2, b1 and was able to get it to zero.

Thanks for your help guys.

What is Sturm-Liouville Orthogonality?

Sturm-Liouville Orthogonality is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between eigenfunctions of a Sturm-Liouville operator. It states that if two eigenfunctions have different eigenvalues, they are orthogonal to each other.

What is a Sturm-Liouville operator?

A Sturm-Liouville operator is a second-order linear differential operator that is used to solve boundary value problems in mathematics and physics. It is named after mathematician Jacques Charles François Sturm and physicist Joseph Liouville.

Why is Sturm-Liouville Orthogonality important?

Sturm-Liouville Orthogonality is important because it allows us to find the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of a Sturm-Liouville operator, which are crucial in solving boundary value problems. It also has many applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics.

How is Sturm-Liouville Orthogonality used in solving boundary value problems?

In solving boundary value problems, Sturm-Liouville Orthogonality is used to find the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the Sturm-Liouville operator, which are then used to construct the solution to the problem. The orthogonality of the eigenfunctions ensures that the solution is unique and satisfies the given boundary conditions.

Can Sturm-Liouville Orthogonality be extended to other types of operators?

Yes, Sturm-Liouville Orthogonality can be extended to other types of operators, such as self-adjoint operators. However, the operator must meet certain conditions, such as being linear and having a complete set of eigenfunctions, in order for the concept to apply.