1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application with Shell Integration Method

1. Jul 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the shell method to find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by y=x2, y=0 and x=1 about the x-axis.

2. Relevant equations
    lim Ʃ2∏RhΔw
    Δw->0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I realize this is hard to visualize without a graph. I uploaded how I split the graph.

Solved for y and found y=0, 1.

lim Ʃ2∏RhΔw
    Δw->0
    =lim Ʃ2∏y(1-y)Δy // made it 1-y because y=x2.
    Δy->0
    =lim Ʃ2∏(y-y2)Δy
    Δy->0
    =2∏∫y-y2dy from 0->1
    =2∏[y2/2-y3/3] from 0->1
    =∏/3

Using Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, volume was found to be ∏/3. However this answer is incorrect. The answer is suppose to be ∏/5. I solved the question initially using the washer method and obtained the answer of ∏/5 but this question asks specifically to use shell method. I don't know how I can fix what I did wrong in this question. I assume I set the wrong h value. I also always get confused on what variable to use x or y, when taking into about if the rotation is about the x or y axis.

Any help would be great thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The quantity in parentheses is xright-xleft. You have (1-y). Now ##x_{right}=1## alright, but since ##y=x^2##, ## x_{left} =\sqrt y## so you should have ##(1-\sqrt y)## there. That will fix it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook