Applying Computational Physics to Car/Bicycle Accidents

• B
  • Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date

Answers and Replies

One tactic that is useful to the cyclist comes from water navigation. Boaters know that if the other vessel is on a constant bearing, you are on a collision course. When you watch the simulation, note that the angle between the cyclist's road and the pillar shadow is approximately constant.

As a cyclist, I use this when approaching an intersection. Not only do I note whether I'm in the driver's blind spot from the A pillar, but I note the angle at which I'm viewing the intersecting vehicle. You can easily train yourself to notice when the angle doesn't change; to me, this makes alarm bells go off in my mind. It's a great survival tactic.

Likes anorlunda and jedishrfu
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
As a cyclist, I use this when approaching an intersection. Not only do I note whether I'm in the driver's blind spot from the A pillar, but I note the angle at which I'm viewing the intersecting vehicle. You can easily train yourself to notice when the angle doesn't change; to me, this makes alarm bells go off in my mind. It's a great survival tactic.
That should work quite well as long as the corner is not "blind". It takes a bit of practice to become proficient at it. All that's needed is a way to educate the cycling public.