Applying for a Masters or a PhD as an international student

In summary, students from the Indian sub-continent must have a Masters degree to apply to a Masters program in Canada.
spaghetti3451
Hi there, I am a citizen of Bangladesh, an underdeveloped country in South East Asia.

I completed two years of my BSc at Imperial College London, UK from 2009 to 2011.
Then, I dropped out due to family problems and spent two years outside academia from 2011 to 2013.
In 2013, I enrolled at a university in my home country and I will finish my BSc by 2016.

At present, I have a CGPA above 3.90 and expect a PGRE score in excess of 920.

I would like to apply to universities in Canada for a Masters degree. In particular, I would love to secure an admission to York University or the University of Waterloo. However, I've learned that students coming from the Indian sub-continent must have done a Masters to apply for a Masters degree. How true is this?

Also, is it true that students who do not apply for doctoral programs are not granted sufficient funding for their studies?

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
Masters to apply for a Masters
Why would you apply for a Masters if you already have one?

That's my point, too.

But, at least you would want to be admitted into a doctoral program, and for that you probably need to complete their Masters program first.

Here's one link:

http://www.physics.yorku.ca/index.php/graduate/apply

Read the third paragraph under the heading 'International Students'.

If the school says this is what they require, why would you think they are not telling you the truth? And why would you think the information from a bunch of guys on the internet would be better? And finally, why would you want to attend a school you believe is lying to you?

Last edited:
I was only trying to get the informed opinions of veterans.

I will, of course, scour through the admissions webpages of all the universities I will be applying to, and also cross-checking responses here with responses from other sources, so I don't simply rely on the word-of-mouth pronouncements of strangers.

But, people who have been through the process can often summarise the entire process in succinct terms, and make the whole process of application that much easier.

1. What are the requirements for applying to a Masters or PhD program as an international student?

The requirements for applying to a Masters or PhD program as an international student can vary depending on the specific program and university. Generally, you will need to have a completed undergraduate degree, a strong academic record, and proof of English language proficiency. Some programs may also require standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

2. Is it more difficult for international students to get accepted into a Masters or PhD program?

It is not necessarily more difficult for international students to get accepted into a Masters or PhD program, but there may be additional requirements and competition for limited spots. It is important to research the specific program and university you are interested in to understand their acceptance rates and any unique requirements for international students.

3. Can I apply for funding or scholarships as an international student?

Many universities and programs offer funding and scholarships specifically for international students. You can research these opportunities on the university's website or through organizations such as the Fulbright Program or the World Bank. It is also worth checking with your home country's government or organizations for potential funding options.

4. Do I need to submit my transcripts and documents in a specific format for my application?

It is important to carefully review the application instructions for the program and university you are applying to. Some may require official transcripts and documents to be submitted in a specific format, such as sealed envelopes or certified translations. Make sure to allow enough time to gather and submit all necessary documents in the required format.

5. Are there any specific visa requirements for international students pursuing a Masters or PhD?

Yes, international students will typically need to obtain a student visa in order to study in a different country. The specific requirements and process for obtaining a visa will vary depending on the country you are studying in. It is important to research and understand the visa requirements and application process well in advance of your planned start date for the program.