1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying for a Masters or a PhD as an international student

1. Sep 24, 2015 #1
    Hi there, I am a citizen of Bangladesh, an underdeveloped country in South East Asia.

I completed two years of my BSc at Imperial College London, UK from 2009 to 2011.
    Then, I dropped out due to family problems and spent two years outside academia from 2011 to 2013.
    In 2013, I enrolled at a university in my home country and I will finish my BSc by 2016.

At present, I have a CGPA above 3.90 and expect a PGRE score in excess of 920.

I would like to apply to universities in Canada for a Masters degree. In particular, I would love to secure an admission to York University or the University of Waterloo. However, I've learnt that students coming from the Indian sub-continent must have done a Masters to apply for a Masters degree. How true is this?

Also, is it true that students who do not apply for doctoral programs are not granted sufficient funding for their studies?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2015 #2
    Why would you apply for a Masters if you already have one?

4. Sep 24, 2015 #3
    That's my point, too.

But, at least you would want to be admitted into a doctoral program, and for that you probably need to complete their Masters program first.

Here's one link:

http://www.physics.yorku.ca/index.php/graduate/apply

Read the third paragraph under the heading 'International Students'.

5. Sep 25, 2015 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If the school says this is what they require, why would you think they are not telling you the truth? And why would you think the information from a bunch of guys on the internet would be better? And finally, why would you want to attend a school you believe is lying to you?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  6. Sep 25, 2015 #5
    I was only trying to get the informed opinions of veterans.

I will, of course, scour through the admissions webpages of all the universities I will be applying to, and also cross-checking responses here with responses from other sources, so I don't simply rely on the word-of-mouth pronouncements of strangers.

But, people who have been through the process can often summarise the entire process in succinct terms, and make the whole process of application that much easier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook