Applying force to an object of equal mass, finding required force?

• Thread starter gerard.caleb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Mass
In summary, the homework question involves a large football player applying a 6.0 x 10^2 N force to another equally burly student sitting on a sled, with sliding friction and air resistance taken into account. The goal is to find the acceleration of the sled and the force needed to be applied by the football player to the ground. Using the equation F=ma, the acceleration of the sled is calculated to be 4.42 m/s^2. To find the force needed, the same equation is used with the net force on the first student and the student's mass.
gerard.caleb

Homework Statement

The homework question is:
"A large football player student (1.0 x 10^2 kg) applies a 6.0 x 10^2 N force to another equally burly student (1.0 x 10^2 kg) sitting on a sled (13.2 kg). If sliding friction and air resistance (drag) is 99.5 N, find the acceleration of the sled. In addition, how much force does the football player need to apply to the ground to accomplish this feat? Remember, he needs to get himself moving too!"

This is probably very easy but my teacher has been away for a week and we aren't supplied textbooks, and unfortunately the supply teachers we've had haven't been very proficient in physics.

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing we've done is very very basic stuff like calculating net force when already given the values, so I'm not really sure how to even approach this.

Can someone please explain how to go about this? I'm not really asking for you to solve it for me, because I'd like to learn how to go about these questions, but if you'd think it would help to treat this as a sample question then by all means!

Thank you!

*edit!

I think I know how to get acceleration, it's F=Fa-Ff=600-99.5=500.5N
so f=ma
a=f/m
a=500.5N/113.2kg
a=4.42 m/s^2

I'm hoping that's correct, anyway!

I'm still not sure how to find the force, though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gerard.caleb said:
I'm still not sure how to find the force, though.
Same eqn, F=ma, but now you want the acceleration from the first part, the net force on the first student and that student's mass.

1. How do I calculate the required force to move an object of equal mass?

The required force can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. Make sure to use consistent units for accurate results.

2. What factors affect the amount of force needed to move an object of equal mass?

The amount of force needed to move an object of equal mass can be affected by factors such as friction, surface area, and the angle at which the force is applied. These factors can increase or decrease the required force.

3. Can I use the same amount of force to move an object of equal mass on different surfaces?

No, the amount of force needed to move an object of equal mass can vary depending on the surface it is on. For example, it may take more force to move an object on a rough surface compared to a smooth surface.

4. Is it always necessary to apply force to move an object of equal mass?

Yes, it is necessary to apply force to move an object of equal mass as per Newton's first law of motion, an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force.

5. How can I reduce the amount of force needed to move an object of equal mass?

To reduce the amount of force needed, you can decrease the friction between the object and the surface it is on by using lubricants or by decreasing the surface area in contact. You can also increase the angle at which the force is applied to reduce the required force.