1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying Green's THM, Polar Coords substitution

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1
    Use Green's THM to calculate the line integral ∫C(F<dot> dx), where C is the circle (x-2)2 + (y - 3)2=1 oriented counterclockwise, and F(x,y)=(y+ln(x2+y2), 2tan-1(x/y)).

Green's THM
    ∂SF<dot>dx=∫∫S(∂F2/∂x) - ∂F1/∂y)

I tried doing it by brute force. I took the partials and put them under the integral. I also computed the bounds of integration and split it into the multiple integral. However, the bounds were pretty messy:
    x from 1 to 3, y from 3 to √(1-(x-2)2)+3

When I evaluated the first integral with respect to y, I got an intractible function to take an integral over.

I feel like I should be using polar coordinates, but I am not sure how to substitute them in this case.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi dbkats! welcome to pf! :smile:
    same way as usual …

x2 + y2 = r2

x = rcosθ, y = rsinθ, dxdy = rsinθdrdθ :wink:

show us your integrand in x and y :smile:

4. Apr 9, 2012 #3
    Re: welcome to pf!

I feel that the conventional polar coordinates will not do well because the disk is not centered at the origin. So when we transform the disk region, we do not get a nice square. Or did I misunderstand how that works?

My integral with respect to x and y:

2∫13dx∫3√(1-(x-2)2)+3{(2/(1 + x/y)2)-1-(2y/(x2+y2))}dy

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  5. Apr 9, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

first, let's simplify …
    :wink:

6. Apr 9, 2012 #5

So, I actually messed up writing it out here. It should actually be:
    Integrand = (2/(1 + (x/y)2))-1-(2y/(x2+y2))

I feel very stupid for not seeing that it drastically simplifies when I work out the common denominator.

Integrand = (y2 - 2y - x2)/(x2 + y2)

Barring any other stupid arithmetic mistakes. Okay, so I have this very pretty integrand, but the bounds of integration are still really weird. Should I try to transition to polar?

EDIT: As an aside, is there a way to enter my fractions here so they are human-readable?

7. Apr 9, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It will simplify even more if you get it right. You forgot to use the chain rule on arctan(x/y). It will simplify so much your coordinate problems will be over. And you could check out using LaTex https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  8. Apr 9, 2012 #7

>.< I feel silly. The integrand evaluates to -1, so I can now use whatever parametrization I feel like. I think that (x-2)=cosθ, (y-3)=sinθ would be a good bet.

I guess once I saw the disk, all I could think about was "how am I going to parametrize this ugly thing"...

Anyway, thanks so much for the help :smile:

9. Apr 9, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're welcome. You don't need coordinates at all. To integrate a constant you just need to know the area of the disk.

10. Apr 9, 2012 #9

Or that, ya hahaha....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook