Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Applying group theory to multivariate eqs

1. Dec 29, 2016 #1

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Are there any good examples of how group theory can be applied to solve multivariate algebraic equations?

The type of equations I have in mind are those that set a "multilinear" polynomial (e.g. ## xyz + 3xy + z##) equal to a monomial (e.g. ##x^3##). However, I'd like to hear about any sort of simultaneous algebraic equations where group theory is useful.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Group theory? I don't think it's very useful. You should read up about elimination theory and Grobner bases though.

4. Dec 29, 2016 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

5. Dec 29, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Well, at least there are some applications for half-groups in social sciences (e.g. degree of relationships), finite groups in cryptography (e.g. error correcting codes), chemistry (geometry of molecules) and crystallography (symmetry groups) and for infinite groups in physics (e.g. QFT, Emmy Noether's theorem (she explicitly mentiones Lie's work in her papers)).

6. Dec 29, 2016 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Of course, I never said group theory was useless. I just said that for this particular question, it's not really useful.

Of course, the question in the OP is vague. But you might for example extend it to "find all rational solutions of ##y^2 = x^2 + x + 1##", then group theory becomes a lot more useful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted