1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying the fourier transform to a PDE

1. Nov 19, 2013 #1
    I have a tutorial question for maths involving the heat equation and fourier transform.

[itex] {\frac{∂u}{∂t}} = {\frac{∂^2u}{∂x^2}} [/itex]

you are given the initial condition:

[itex]u(x,0) = 70e^{-{\frac{1}{2}}{x^2}} [/itex]

the answer is:

[itex]u(x,t) = {\frac{70}{\sqrt{1+2t}}}{e^{-{\frac{x^2}{2+4t}}}} [/itex]

In this course the definition of a fourier transform is:

[itex] U(k) = F[/itex]{[itex]u(x)[/itex]}[itex] = {\frac{1}{\sqrt{2π}}}{\int_{-∞}^{∞}{{u(x)}{e^{-ikx}}}\,dx}[/itex]

[itex] u(x) = F^{-1}[/itex]{[itex]U(k)[/itex]}[itex] = {\frac{1}{\sqrt{2π}}}{\int_{-∞}^{∞}{{U(k)}{e^{+ikx}}}\,dk}[/itex]

MY SOLUTION:

So far I can use the transform with the pde to obtain
    [itex] U(k,t) = A(k).e^{-k^{2}t}[/itex]
    [itex] U(k,0) = A(k)[/itex]

From the initial condition and a transform table:
    [itex] U(k,0) = 70.e^{-{\frac{1}{2}}k^2}[/itex]
    [itex] U(k,t) = 70.e^{-{\frac{1}{2}}k^2}.e^{-k^{2}t}[/itex]

from here it looks like I would have to apply the inverse fourier transform to get u(x,t). This is a difficult integration an I don't remember it being this complicated the first time. So basically:

Is there an easier way to do this question?
    Any tips for the inverse fourier integration below?

[itex]u(x,t) = {\frac{1}{\sqrt{2π}}}{\int_{-∞}^{∞}{{70.e^{-{\frac{1}{2}}k^2}.e^{-k^{2}t}}{e^{+ikx}}}\,dk}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You have a Fourier transform of a Gaussian
    $$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-\alpha k^2} e^{ikx}\,dk$$ where ##\alpha = t+\frac{1}{2}##, so you could just look up the answer in a table of Fourier transform pairs. If you want to derive the result, combine the exponentials and then complete the square.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted